Older Oslo 500 rehab

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jkvigilant

Oct 24, 2007
Southern New England
Just acquired a 17 year old Olso 500. Well maintained by one owner. Pd 550.00. No abuse or over fire. It's my chance to move from and older vigilant dual fuel. Question - any owners with advice on what to check, repack, recement, replace based on age? Stove has the original cast plates over the baffle.
Pretty straight and true. Need new blanket and will replace some gaskets. Only thing I'm not a fan of is the old ash door knobless latch/tool setup.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated. thx.

When replacing gaskets pay attention to the factory specs. Replace the ash pan door gasket too. Check the base around the ash grate for any hairline cracking.

Thats the vintage of mine. Mine is as good now as it was when it was new. I don't need to run it hard. A few door gaskets, a top insulation blanket and yours should be fine. The blanket only lasts a few years. I bought a roll of the material and cut my own.