Older Wood/Oil Combination

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aucoinj4

Dec 4, 2011
Nova Scotia
Hello All,
I am looking at purchasing a 19yr old house that has a Benjamin wood/oil combo boiler installed that is the same age as the house. It looks like the Benjamin CC500 but I forgot to grab the model number off of it while we were looking at the place. I am not overly familiar with boiler systems, but have had forced air wood/oil frunaces before. I am wondering how long these things typically last if they are cared for on well water, like should we be looking to replace the boiler at 19 years old or could we expect more years out of it. We will be getting it inspected but are just curious as to how these boilers usually hold up.

Thanks

If it had old water inside it, it might last a lot longer! So-called black water is water that has lost most of it's oxygen and therefore does not corrode. This is why, for instance, cast iron radiators and pipes last for a century or more.

Boilers often tend to wear from the outside in - due to small leaks from fittings, so be sure to remove the jacket and inspect any suspect areas.

Another 10+ years would not be a reach at all.

I've got a cc500.

I've commented on it in a few threads:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/82873/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/79191/P15/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/78994/

In addition to that, I will add I had to replace the domestic DHW coil gaskets twice. First time was after around 6-7 years, and was done by my furnace guy. Second time was about 3 years ago, and I did it myself. It was a PITA to do - you have drain the boiler to below coil level, then do a bunch of plumbing stuff re. unhooking/cutting lines, then hooking it all back together, then re-filling. Took me all day, but I did a bit of other maintenance while I was at it (like re-do the fittings so it should be easier next time). But the biggest PITA was just getting new gaskets - and I live 20 minutes from where they're made. I had to make numerous calls, find a supply place that could order them, went there (drove by the factory while doing so) and paid for them, then stop at the factory on the way back home and talk to 3 different people before they would give them to me. Just a bad setup for service by them. So, the first thing I would do to see how your relationship is going to be with it, is start calling around and seeing if you can easily get new coil gaskets. If not, you might be able to rig up a fix (like maybe make your own - they are only thick rubber) - but it will leak around the coils eventually, guaranteed.

EDIT: Ha, just noticed you're from NS too - extra good luck with things then. ;)

And, I will say this - when I did have the coils out, I looked around inside it as good as I could with the access I had. It did still look pretty solid inside. But both baffles in my firebox (on the door & at the back) are pretty well shot.

Thanks for the info guys. I had a guy out to inspect the boiler and he said it was in good shape for its age so I am looking forward to cutting/splitting some wood for this thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.