Olympic Crest Wood stove - questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobUrban

Minister of Fire
Jul 24, 2010
Central Michigan
I have been give an Olympic Crest cast iron wood stove - looks like a Franklin. No window, wider than it is deep and loads from the left end. I also got 7 feet of 8" double wall pipe. I am planning to install it myself and just wondered if this is a good/decent stove? As in quality. I need to clean some surface rust off from it and re-seal it up but it is in really good shape and I am really excited to have wood heat in the house. This is my first post as I just found this site and there is a ton of information here - good stuff.

1st I cannot afford a new stove so that is not an option as I know that is the best recomendation and just wanted to ask if anyone has or knows of this stove and also wanted to say hello to the forum

Thanks - Bob Urban

Well that does not sound like it is a great stove but very servicable and for the price(free) I am going to install it. Thank you for the feedback

Bob Urban

How are you going to vent the stove Bob?

By vent do you mean Chimney plan? I am planning to go black pipe 45 to a Class A through the wall into a T with cleanout and up the side of the house to the cap. Roughly 10-15' max. What is the standard distance formula for being away from and above the roof line at the cap? 3" above, 6' away? Also, what is the distance from the ceiling do I have to keep the pipe inside when I make my elbow into the class A?

I will get some pics of my plan or placement in and out of the house if that will help.

Thanks for the input

Bob Urban

A chimney with only 10-15 feet outside which also has 2 90 degree turns is not likely to work very well. Each 90 degree turn takes off 4-5 feet of effective height. That means such a chimney might have an effective height of 2-6 feet. Straight up is the best way to go.....a straight up 14 foot chimney (from the stove) would be about the minimum which would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.