OMG - THIS is why you follow code

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The OP did NOT point out any errors in judgement. It was "hey, look at this, isn't it great ? "
Other than the title saying this is why you have to follow code did you even read his posts? He obviously said it was srong

No one noticed the blackened wood trim.
We all did including the op that is why he posted pics of it.

No comments about the moving of that electrical outlet to an open install ( stupid and illegal and unsafe ).
What about it is stupid or illegal? What is the problem?

Nothing about that outlet inches from the stove ( wire insulation is not heat proof...it melts. Ask your local fireman or insurance agent. )
Yes we all including the op know that the required clearances are not met if the stove was the proper distance from the window trim there would be no issue with the outlet.

Oslo operation--never heard or read about using the front door consistently or removing the side door handle ! Why ! Is this fake news here ?
They had us remove the side door handle and secure it with the kit provided by jotul because they did not have the required clearance to use the side door. And I am sorry but just because you have never heard of it doesn't mean it is fake.

So let's use this as a lesson for what not to do. Done.
That is exactly what the op started this thread for so why are you giving him such a hard time?

In my 17 years as a volunteer fire fighter, I've been to many house fires, averages out to 10-15 a year, there have been a handful I can say that were directly related to woodstoves / fireplace clearance.
I've also been on a job were we had to recover to small kids that did not make from a fire, so I get your emotional response, but coming in like a bull in a china shop doesn't help, it actually deters, or turns off the OP or others when you comment, then when you have something very important to say, your messages are less likely to be read, just take that into consideration next time.

Amen Brother . . .

Couldn't agree with you more . . . and teaching folks about fire and life safety is what I do for a living. The way to change behavior and thoughts is just what you said . . .

Amen Brother . . .

Couldn't agree with you more . . . and teaching folks about fire and life safety is what I do for a living. The way to change behavior and thoughts is just what you said . . .
Absolutely insulting a homeowner and calling them stupid is not a great way to get them to listen to you.

Reactions: Handsonautotech
Whoever installed that stove gets Moron of the Year Award.

64508768fd3f2f2d6670cc516a66deff.jpg
This us what happens when you're not so lucky. Not my house but a real shame. Bad install.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This us what happens when you're not so lucky. Not my house but a real shame. Bad install.
Yeah that looks like it was the wall pass thru which is where we see the most serious problems. We rarely find one done correctly

The way I see it nEWRfire posted this to show a real world example of the danger of an incorrect install which was demonstrated dramatically.

Promoting safety is one of the things that Hearth does and does well and anyone who sees that post who might have been thinking of cutting a few corners would probably think again.

nEWRfire posted this knowing he probably was risking embarrassment but did it anyway so folks could see what can happen.

I appreciate that and certainly don't feel a need to call him out or call names.

This pretty much sums it up. I hesitated before posting the thread especially the pics. I decided to post because I thought this could be an excellent 'real world' example of what this forum espouses in safety.

At what point did you decide to remove the box and plant from the window stool?

Pretty soon.

Reactions: bholler
I'm meeting with the landlord and her handy man later today. I have the Jotul Oslo manual with me to point out the clearance deficiencies.

Thank you

Does this Oslo have the rear heat shield attached to the back of the stove?

You also will need to have the clearances for single-wall stove pipe printed out and with you. Here are the NFPA requirements. The connector clearance requirement supercedes the stove requirements if it is larger.

18inch_snglwall clear.JPG

Last edited:
Does this Oslo have the rear heat shield attached to the back of the stove?

You also will need to have the clearances for single-wall stove pipe printed out and with you. Here are the NFPA requirements. The connector clearance requirement supercedes the stove requirements if it is larger.
View attachment 194646

That doesn't look right. Dimension "C", distance from stove pipe to wall is listed as a shorter allowable minimum when using single wall pipe with no heat shields vs. double wall pipe with heat shields.

Makes no sense.

That doesn't look right. Dimension "C", distance from stove pipe to wall is listed as a shorter allowable minimum when using single wall pipe with no heat shields vs. double wall pipe with heat shields.

Makes no sense.
You're right. I grabbed this out of an Englander manual to point out that exact problem. Fixed now, thx.

That's correct. The solution may be to get a rear heat shield for the stove installed and the connector pipe changed to double-wall stove pipe. But that will depend on current measurements.

Makes no sense.
yes some regency stoves are the same way. They test it and can set that clearance at less than the 18". But I always still go with 18 for single wall.

yes some regency stoves are the same way. They test it and can set that clearance at less than the 18". But I always still go with 18 for single wall.

I can understand that, with testing, they might be able to set it closer if the results support that. But why would the minimum distance ever be lower for single wall with no heat shield vs. double wall with heat shield? I guess I don't understand your response to my comment.

I can understand that, with testing, they might be able to set it closer if the results support that. But why would the minimum distance ever be lower for single wall with no heat shield vs. double wall with heat shield? I guess I don't understand your response to my comment.
oops sorry I missed that obviously a mistake on their part.

I might be able to help with this, when the stove companies test there products for certification, the steps taken is to use certified wood pieces, these saw cuts are the same type of wood used for every burning appliance. The certified testers attach thermocouples to all different part of the stove, they then run the stove at high. What determines the clearances is temperature riser per hour for the test time. So if the test is running the stove for 4 hours, the testing company wants to see a certain rise in temps on objects for a specific time. Some stoves are built with higher efficiency so the stove top is a certain temp while the flue gasses are lower, the testing company is testing the stove, not the pipe or chimney. This is why you see a reduced clearance for single wall pipe.
Now when they tested the single wall pipe they established a different clearance and that's why the single wall manufacturer has that listed.
Is it right or wrong? Go with the weak chain link theory on the whole system when installing a unit, stove "abc can go 10" from a combustible wall, but if using single wall pipe the closest part of the single wall can only be 18" from same combustible, so the stove will have to move to accommodate the pipe.

Even with heat shield you'd still need to honor clearance for single wall pipe right?