One moment in time......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodchip

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 6, 2010
Broadstone England
We had the first taste of our 2007 sloe gin yesterday evening........

So I'm happy that we'll be bottling our 2011 sloe gin next week.

The boozy sloes can then be put into our Christmas turkey to make a nice gravy, and a really nice smell as it cooks.........

2007sloegin.jpg

I never had sloe gin, but just looking at the picture make me thirsty !!

Sloes are small wild plums that grow round here in hedgerows.

I put a pound of sloes, some sugar, and some gin into a jar, and leave it for a few months and then bottle it.

I usually make a bottle a year for Christmas, but back in 2007 we had a huge crop, and I made several bottles and just forgot them as they were at the back of the cupboard.

It's commercially available, but making your own is a country custom round here going back hundreds of years.... :)

Love the color and photo! Makes me want to make some now....

I don't drink gin or even had any idea of what it tastes like, but just seeing that picture makes me want to try this sloe gin. ;)

Dang...Those are some very big fingers...or that is a really small glass! Well I guess it is gin, so a thimble full is all I'd want, too! :)

Really though, very neat pic...enjoy the 'sauce'!

Awesome pic !!

Have had a few sloe gin fizzes, liked 'em :)

woodchip said:

I put a pound of sloes, some sugar, and some gin into a jar, and leave it for a few months and then bottle it.

I usually make a bottle a year for Christmas, but back in 2007 we had a huge crop, and I made several bottles and just forgot them as they were at the back of the cupboard.

It's commercially available, but making your own is a country custom round here going back hundreds of years.... :)

Woodchip - could one use normal plums as well? any other fruits?
Any tips on how much sugar one is to add? (I'm guessing it would depend on the amount of gin and plumbs...I guess you can tell that I like gin :)

daveswoodhauler said:
woodchip said:

Woodchip - could one use normal plums as well? any other fruits?
Any tips on how much sugar one is to add? (I'm guessing it would depend on the amount of gin and plumbs...I guess you can tell that I like gin :)

Making sloe gin is a bit hit and miss, every year the sloes come up slightly sweeter, or less sweet (actually, they are usually very tart).

I suspect this is something that is open to a lot of experimentation, and I reckon a small jar with half a dozen plums, a couple of spoonfuls of sugar, and covered with gin should produce something worth drinking within 3 months or so.

You could try something local to the USA for a special seasonal twist, like cranberry gin, which would need a bit more sugar as cranberries are about the same tartness as sloes.......

I suspect you are going to have a lot of fun trying gin recipes out now, and I raise a glass to you....... last nights drink was home made cherry brandy from some wild cherries down the road.

The tree was diseased and ended up falling over in an incident involving a chainsaw...... at least I have the wood and a bottle of charry brandy to remember it by....... ;-)

CherryBrandy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.