One saw, two cords a year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought the Dolmar CL.

Just kidding.

Thanks for your responses.

Still thinking on this one.
I'll have to see how much $ I can save up.
Especially since I would like to buy some safety gear as well.

My estimation of two cords per year might be off since this is my first year with a woodburner. I love the heat, smell and atmosphere of a wood fire, but also work a lot of hours, am not at home much, and have a high efficient natural gas furnace in a energy star house. So my woodburning is done when I'm home early evenings and days off as a supplement.

I have access to land and will enjoy taking advantage of cutting, splitting, stacking and most importantly controlling the seasoning process.

So, we'll see how much I'll use this season and go from there.

Thanks again for your opinions.

Andy

andyrlee said:
My estimation of two cords per year might be off since this is my first year with a woodburner. I love the heat, smell and atmosphere of a wood fire, but also work a lot of hours, am not at home much, and have a high efficient natural gas furnace in a energy star house. So my woodburning is done when I'm home early evenings and days off as a supplement.

I have access to land and will enjoy taking advantage of cutting, splitting, stacking and most importantly controlling the seasoning process.

I'm also not a full-time burner, using wood to supplement my high-efficiency NG furnace. I 'm in a milder climate than you, and I still manage to go through a minimum of 2 cords. I'd shoot for 3, and whatever you have left over will be money in the bank for next year.

andyrlee said:
Bought the Dolmar CL.

Just kidding.

Andy

Hey Andy,

The boyz over at arboristsite.com Say you can sometimes get old rental chainsaws at Home Depot for a good price(64cc 4.7 H.P.) I think most stores sell them after 20 or 25 rentals.
There is a thread about a guy in the Chicago 'berbs that just bought two for around $280 for both. They look to be in real nice shape. Then if you get froggy Baileys sells big bore kits to turn them into 84cc. 84cc and pretty darn light, a perfect one saw plan............Mo out!

Disclaimer:

Please do not visit the Chainsaw section of that site. You will NOT be able to stop with only ONE saw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andyrlee said:
Bought the Dolmar CL.

Just kidding.

Andy

ok I was wrong its going to take the 880 and I would port it as soon as possible 42in. and 60in. combo bar set up rs full comp chain.

smokinjay said:
andyrlee said:
Bought the Dolmar CL.

Just kidding.

Andy

ok I was wrong its going to take the 880 and I would port it as soon as possible 42in. and 60in. combo bar set up rs full comp chain.

enough with the kindling maker

Burning 2 cord a year . . . . . TFF!!

I bet some people run that much through their OWB during the current 7-day period with the temps and wind we have! :bug:

You could gather up the scraps found on the floor/ground around the units represented on this board and not have to cut anything!!

andyrlee said:

If you have access to wood, I'd go to town and bugger up 8 cords if you could - with half that being stuff you could burn next season - dead standing oaks, ash, birch. And have the other half be your supply for the following year. Denser species like your oaks, rock maple, etc.

Ain't no fun having it be mid-Feb. and looking at an empty woodshed.

A lot of the folks here seem to be scrounge reliant and don't have the same opportunity to go to town that you will, once you pull the trigger on a saw.

Also, if you're not mechanically inclined, dealer support is worth consideration. I can do some of my own work. But if I get baffled, it's nice to know I have 2 stihl dealers within a 30 minute drive.

I'm not a big guy (145 pounds), and the basic pro-grade Stihl and Husky saws were what I would consider to be "too heavy" for a lot of use, especially if you are going to do limbing. I didn't want to get a commercial grade saw - I like to buy things once and keep them a long time. It costs more in the short-term, but saves me in the long-term.

I liked the Husky 346XP - 50cc high revving saw with a lot of power, but $500. Ouch.

I bought the Dolmar P5100S. Same characteristics as the 346XP, but $400, and the dealer was only 7 miles from my house. You should check out either the 346XP or P5100S before you make your decision. You might like what they offer.

Okay, I'm not a young man any more and I have a terrible back. Weight of the saw is also one of my concerns. The last time I was in the market for a saw I was looking at a smaller one that I presently have but the guy saw me looking. He came over and asked me to take one particular saw home with me for a week and give it a try.

I did not use it a week and the saw is heavier than I originally wanted but I ended up buying it simply because I liked how it handled and it cut really decently. I can put up to a 20" bar on it and most run an 18" but I run only a 16" bar. This lightens it a bit and so far I don't do too bad with it. Perhaps I would be better with a smaller saw but to go smaller also means a smaller chain which I really did not want.

So now I own, and have for many years, a Stihl Farm Boss 290. It works for this old guy who has a bad back.

One must understand the trade offs associated with lighter/smaller saws. For instance, lighter (smaller) saws require more time and bending over (unless one is sawing exclusively small wood). So the bad back crowd must consider time vs weight.

I would suggest that you find a firewood cutting friend who has CAD and spend a day with him trying out his plethora of saws. We can all tell you what we have, but until you really find the one that feels good in your hands, you will always be wondering if you should have bought something else. Well, chances are your going to do that you will be buying more saws, because CAD is highly contagious, especially hanging out on these sites!!!

But if you can't find a friend, you can not go wrong with a Stihl. A 250 to 310 will handle your needs with out breaking the bank!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Good idea, but unfortunatly all I have availabe to try is a Husky 353 and a model similar in size.

CAD stands for what? I have ideas but...

andyrlee said:
Good idea, but unfortunatly all I have availabe to try is a Husky 353 and a model similar in size.

Chainsaw Addiction Disease - very dangerous, as it can cause severe WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) deficiencies....

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
andyrlee said:

Chainsaw Addiction Disease - very dangerous, as it can cause severe WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) deficiencies....

Gooserider

After numerous replapses of CAD., I have found it just plain simplier to go ahead and buy the necessary chain saw and then simply Beg For Forgiveness. Skipping the whole wife approval process. Seems to speed the purchasing time up!

Monkey Wrench said:
Gooserider said:
andyrlee said:

Gooserider

After numerous replapses of CAD., I have found it just plain simplier to go ahead and buy the necessary chain saw and then simply Beg For Forgiveness. Skipping the whole wife approval process. Seems to speed the purchasing time up!
+1
If she see's one does she notice the second and if she doesn't notice the second then I have the 3 saw plan.

What, that old thing? I've had that for years.

If I could only find a way to sneak a FEL into the shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.