One shed to season and store?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poindexter

Minister of Fire
Jun 28, 2014
Fairbanks, Alaska
Looking to cut down the number of times I handle each piece of wood.

I keep about a face cord in the garage to make room for the wife's car and my shop tools.

How are you able to split green wood, stack it once and then take it to the stove without having to handle it again?

I just finished a wood shed that should hold 12 cords +/- or enough for 3+ years. I've been moving random piles in there for this year but the plan for all future wood is to split it, stack/dry it in the shed, and next time I move it should be to the stove. People say it dries better out in piles but I am hoping 2-3 years drying time will be fine. Plus I don't like moving wood.

Looking to cut down the number of times I handle each piece of wood.

I keep about a face cord in the garage to make room for the wife's car and my shop tools.

How are you able to split green wood, stack it once and then take it to the stove without having to handle it again?
I haven't found a way. I stack it on pallets outside, then, I have to move the wood for this season inside the shed to keep it dry and out of the elements. Then, carry it again to the house, as needed. I figure I have to handle it 6 times before we get the benefit of it. It gives me something to complain about.

I haven't found a way. I stack it on pallets outside, then, I have to move the wood for this season inside the shed to keep it dry and out of the elements. Then, carry it again to the house, as needed. I figure I have to handle it 6 times before we get the benefit of it. It gives me something to complain about.
I'm counting 3 moves there.

I'm counting 3 moves there.
Lol. I didn't talk about all of them. But, of you insist...
Cut the tree, carry out of the woods to the truck.
Get them home and move em off the truck. Stack the logs.
Cut the logs to stove length. Stack the logs.
Split the logs and stack em again for seasoning.
Move them into the woodshed and stack em again.
Bring them into the house as needed and stack em again.
Finally, put the log in the stove.
I suppose, I could count emptying the ashes as one more move.

Reactions: Seanm
Lol. I didn't talk about all of them. But, of you insist...
Cut the tree, carry out of the woods to the truck.
Get them home and move em off the truck. Stack the logs.
Cut the logs to stove length. Stack the logs.
Split the logs and stack em again for seasoning.
Move them into the woodshed and stack em again.
Bring them into the house as needed and stack em again.
Finally, put the log in the stove.
I suppose, I could count emptying the ashes as one more move.
Yea, that's a lot of moving. But what can you do?

I honestly don't mind all that moving and stacking. It gets me off my butt and doing something I enjoy. The only thing I hate is that I have a huge slope behind my house and moving wood down and then back up is a real chore. Unfortunately, I am running out of room at the back of the porch so I have to get the oak down there and let it stay there for a few years.

My brother had a very large corn crib on his property. He never stacked and claimed it held six cords. Hodgepodge.
It doesnt help with the FIFO LIFO thing but if you construct 3 of them, you can rotate the "piles"
I personally love the look of corn cribs. Only drawback is cost of construction.

Maybe this is the only advantage of having a small piece of property. I pretty much split it, stack it, burn it. I do keep a pile in my garage, so some stuff gets stacked twice. I like to have some wood warm, dry and easy to access. But most wood doesn't make it to the garage. Most wood goes from the wood stacks to the copper bin next to my fireplace.

Last edited:
Maybe this is the only advantage of having a small piece of property. I pretty much split it, stack it, burn it. I do keep a pile in my garage, so some stuff gets stacked twice. I like to have some wood warm, dry and easy to access. But most wood doesn't make it to the garage. Most wood goes from the wood stacks to the copper bin next to my fireplace.
This describes my situation as well although my garage is insulated but unheated so if its -25c outside it will be -12c in the garage. We have a spot in there that will hold 1-2 weeks worth of wood otherwise its outside top covered. We use the ice fishing sled to haul loads to replenish the garage. I still cant help myself with cherry picking the perfect split from outside though.

Not to get off topic, but this reminds me of my shelf-to-fridge personal shopping cart idea that's gonna make me rich someday.

Reactions: jakeyboy
Status
Not open for further replies.