One week impressions and questions - Englander/Summers Heat 55-SHP22 / PDV-25

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So, haven't been able to get burn times any longer than 12 hrs, even with 1,1 settings and low fuel feed pushed down to 3 and plugged side holes.

Will try adjusting the chute plate in the hopper as suggested. Is there a 'calibration' setting for this? (i.e. per design this should be 1" opening when closed?)

Also, thinking about adding a millivolt thermostat. Does anyone know if these turn on/off (mine is 2018 model) with the thermostat or are just high/low and need to be turned on at the stove?

Was hoping to be able to have a clean stove, full of pellets and ready to start via thermostat without intervention, for any temp drops overnight, for instance.

You'd have to check the stove's manual. I know mine will only do Hi/Lo, but then again mine is a 2008 model.

Eric

Could not find this in the manual, unfortunately it says to check the cold start section, which has nothing on how the stove operates differently with a thermostat. Also, there's a pdf on their site showing how to set it up, but how the individual stoves work refers to the manual, which have circular references.

The unit does refer to an 'auto start' by pressing the on button, but no indication of whether this works with a thermostat or not, so the reason I've asked the form if anyone has direct experience as the manuals are less than useful in this regard.

http://heatredefined-net.reamaze.com/kb/installation-information/thermostats

So, haven't been able to get burn times any longer than 12 hrs, even with 1,1 settings and low fuel feed pushed down to 3 and plugged side holes.

Will try adjusting the chute plate in the hopper as suggested. Is there a 'calibration' setting for this? (i.e. per design this should be 1" opening when closed?)There is no set calibration for this. Every pellet brand burns alittle different. you just have to play with it. I will tell you that 1" is to much in my opinion.

Also, thinking about adding a millivolt thermostat. Does anyone know if these turn on/off (mine is 2018 model) with the thermostat or are just high/low and need to be turned on at the stove?Cannot help on this one because I do not run a stat

Was hoping to be able to have a clean stove, full of pellets and ready to start via thermostat without intervention, for any temp drops overnight, for instance.
I do not think you will ever be able to have a clean stove on a restart with a stat on these stove's. They leave to much ash in the pot. I'm not sure how that would work for you.

Thanks Pellet rick. Agreed on the amount of ash and restarts being problematic. Was hoping for auto turn on overnight, after I've cleaned and prepped the stove.

However, I do also understand that would mean the thermostat feature for this stove would most likely designed turn the unit to low and not autostart, given the potential for an 'e2' on restarts if there are calls for on/off in maintaining temp. Was hoping it would turn on, and either use preset settings or auto regulate feed/blower using thermostat temp and then go into shutdown mode when out of fuel.

ps, thanks also for the tip on the chute plate, as mine appears to have been set way too open at the factory. Will try adjusting to cut this in half as a starting point.

Thanks Pellet rick. Agreed on the amount of ash and restarts being problematic. Was hoping for auto turn on overnight, after I've cleaned and prepped the stove.

However, I do also understand that would mean the thermostat would most likely designed turn the unit to low and not autostart, given the potential for an 'e2' on restarts if there are calls for on/off in maintaining temp. Was hoping it would turn on, and either use preset settings or auto regulate feed/blower using thermostat temp and then go into shutdown mode when out of fuel.
If you go to bed with a clean pan you should be fine on the restart. But I am not sure how all that works. I know 2006 will light on setting 2 but will go out. I always start the stove on setting 5 and ounce its going back it off. I think my book even recommended that if I remember correctly .

ps, thanks also for the tip on the chute plate, as mine appears to have been set way too open at the factory. Will try adjusting to cut this in half as a starting point.
Yes they set them wide open for some reason.

Looks like mine's already set forward all the way and still 1 1/4" or so open.

Anyone recall if their plates look like this? Thinking I might need to substitute this plate with a longer piece as it doesn't look like the slot can be elongated much further than a quarter inch or so.

Since it's spring, I'll live with it until next season and not use the stove as frequently, as the lowest setting is too hot anytime outside temps are above 40F or so, depending on how sunny it is.

IMG_1422.jpg

thats the factory plate. try setting your lower 3 numbers down to 2-4-1 see if that lowers your consumtion and temps

Thanks, unplugged the unit and gave it a good cleaning when cold as it was warm yesterday. jWeather got cold again late last night, so am now running at 2 4 1 on a 3 heat level.