Online store recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian T

Sep 3, 2014
New Jersey
I'm finally replacing my circa 1986 austroflamm. Can anyone recommend an online store? There are only a couple of local stores and I've been told they are all way overpriced.

I'm not really settled on any particular model at this point. Hoping to spend less then 2k, but we'll see.

Thank you

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Under 2k will get you either a box store stove like Englander or Ussc stove, pelpro or one of the many Chinese stoves.More info would be helpful like what size space your trying to heat etc.

If I were to buy a new stove right now for under $2000 I would recommend the Castle Serenity which Ace Hardware has online for $899 right now (ends October 31st). Free delivery to a local store:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=28687896

Or if you need more BTU and a larger hopper, I would get the Pleasant Hearth Pellet Stove with a 120lb hopper and 50,000 BTU.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pleasant...-Hopper-and-Auto-Ignition-PH50CABPS/203726438

OR

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pleasant...0-BTU-s-with-120-LB-Hopper-PH50CABPS/28471183

Just my opinion of course...

Thank you for the advice. I'm probably going to have to come up in price because I really want something that has thermostat controls. I'm tired of waking up freezing or sweating if when the weather changes.

My house is about 2000 square feet and the stove is in the basement. I'm still researching and just wanted to know of any online stores that are good to deal with.

Don't know how you feel about a used stove but that is an option also.

Ya, used might be the way to go to keep cost down...there was a 2014 Quadra-fire AE on ebay about a hour away from me that sold for $1800, barely used. That was a $4,300 stove and only two years old. Guy had natural gas run down his road and was remodeling and just wanted to get rid of it. It was one of the newer ones that really doesn't have any issues. Too bad I wasn't in the market for one....

Craigslist by me has several Quadra-fires and Harmans for $2000-$2800 (older than the ebay one though) that would be good choices. People are listing them like crazy this time of year...

As for online stores...I don't know of a "Pellet Stove" online store. The higher end are through dealers, and the others are like I showed you via various retailers.

Jonkman, funny you mentioned that Howell Mi 2014 Mt Vernon on ebay. I was in the bidding war but bowed out.

I second a used stove a good choice. Lots of helpful folks on this forum before and after you buy. I've enjoyed my Quadrafires, Harmans, St Croix stoves, along with a PP130 Pelpro. Many CL deals now, really surprised how many Harmans are listed. Year old P43 for $1500 seems like a decent price to make an offer on,

Under 2K does leave you with one dealer stove, eco choice by Heatilator, sister company to Quadrafire and Harman. The PS50 50K btu, retails for about 1900. If you can stretch a little money, Quad CB1200 classic bay is around 2650. Good to look at used too.....

jzm2cc that is funny. I was hoping nobody was watching that one since it is in central Michigan and had to be picked up. I was hoping it would stay below $1500 and I could clean it up and resell it actually. Oh well. :)

Jamestown sells direct to the customer through their website but nothing under 2k, the j2000 starts at 2200.00

Last edited:
I had never heard of Heatilator, did a google search for Heatilator CAB50 and guess what comes up...Pleasant Hearth Pellet Stove....interesting.

Heatilator is another division of Hearth and Home Technologies, the parent co of Quadrafire, Harman and Heat and Glo. They make three models, the PS50, Ps35 and cab 50 under the Eco choice brand name. They may make Pleasant Hearth's stoves for them too, other pellet stove companies (Sherwood Industries Enviro) makes stoves for other companies (Hudson River Stoveworks and Regency) to name a couple. The eco choice brand for the money is pretty well made, simple to use and clean, a good basic pellet stove.

Stovelark, that makes sense, I figured it was something like that, benefit of the heatilator is you get dealer support, and it can run off a regular thermostat. Although I like the looks of the Pleasant Hearth better with the rounded door and the blower vents, but that's just me. And I think the dial on the side is drop dead easy (on the Pleasant Hearth) and you don't have to run any wires...I can see the benefit of both. But I feel we are getting away from the direction of this thread....;)

All this makes me with I had lots of money just so I could test out all of these different stoves, sound like fun to me but I'm kinda strange.

Reactions: rich2500
Not sure how I forgot to mention the Heatilators, but agree. Very easy stove to maintain, dirt cheap igniters, simple to diagnose if a problem crops up, even radiates a bit of heat like a P stove.

Jonkman, I had hoped to buy this stove to get something a bit quieter for the living room but my price cap was $1500.

I understand why you'd want to do a quick flip on it, just wonder if this is a bad year for that, due to ultra chesp propane. I see all kinds of quality brands priced cheaply on CL that aren't usually there in previous years. Personally I'd rather buy a used quality stove over a new big box brand.

I would also consider a good used pellet stove. I have rebuilt and worked on many brands and models of pellet stoves and my 2 all time favorites that have been made for atleast 15 years and are still made new today are the Quadrafire Classic Bay CB1200 and the Harman P61a. They can be found on the used market and be easily painted and fixed up to look and work like new. They also put out HEAT !!!

I have no personal experience but have read good things about these guys in the past http://www.amfmenergy.com/55trp10--epa-certified-pellet-stove--1555101501.html

I bought a PDV-25/55-TRP22 from them. Mine was a factory second for a blemish that I could never seem to locate. They also sell refurbished units also. The story behind the refurbs is people buy a pellet stove from Lowe's/Home Depot for $1500 expecting the performance of a $4000 Harman, burn pellets until the stove gets clogged with ash (2 days max), get upset and return it, then Lowe's/HD returns it to the manufacturer, then they clean it up test it, find no faults, clean it up again, then send it to AMFM to be sold at a significant discount. They all come with a full factory warranty I believe.

Anyway, they'll ship to a Estes depot for free, which is good if you have a vehicle capable of picking it up. If not they charge another $75ish for home delivery via truck with a lift gate.

Thank you all for your replies. I didn't even consider a used stove. I talked to a guy selling a 4 year old Quadra fire classic Bay.
I'll probably buy it on Wednesday. He said he replaced the exhaust blower? Is that something I should be concerned with?

Thank you all for your replies. I didn't even consider a used stove. I talked to a guy selling a 4 year old Quadra fire classic Bay.
I'll probably buy it on Wednesday. He said he replaced the exhaust blower? Is that something I should be concerned with?

Hello
That CB1200 is a super stove. The exhaust blower is the first thing to go so that is good!
I would check the room blower to make sure all the dust is cleaned out of both ends of the squirrel cages. Pull the Thermocouple cover off and make sure the wires are twisted and there is a drop of slag at the end from a good spot weld. If the thermocouple cover cannot be cleaned very white you may want to get a new one. I would clean it up real nice and if the paint is faded you can re paint it easily with Stove Bright Satin Black spray paint. I also like painting the grill with VHT very high temp 2000 Deg Flat Aluminum header paint you can get at the auto parts store for a little PiZaz!
Also check the fire pot ash dump rod to see if it pulls out easily and snaps right back if you let go. If not spray PB Blaster on the linkage after wire brushing any rust or corrosion off it. Then wire brush the bottom of the fire pot and then spray it with Dry Moly for a nice and easy pull. :)
Good luck and let us know if you have anymore questions but we like to see pics of it of course!

Attachments

• IMG_7794.JPG
    IMG_7794.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 202
What are you doing with your old stove. Would you consider selling parts off it?

Hello
That CB1200 is a super stove. The exhaust blower is the first thing to go so that is good!
I would check the room blower to make sure all the dust is cleaned out of both ends of the squirrel cages. Pull the Thermocouple cover off and make sure the wires are twisted and there is a drop of slag at the end from a good spot weld. If the thermocouple cover cannot be cleaned very white you may want to get a new one. I would clean it up real nice and if the paint is faded you can re paint it easily with Stove Bright Satin Black spray paint. I also like painting the grill with VHT very high temp 2000 Deg Flat Aluminum header paint you can get at the auto parts store for a little PiZaz!
Also check the fire pot ash dump rod to see if it pulls out easily and snaps right back if you let go. If not spray PB Blaster on the linkage after wire brushing any rust or corrosion off it. Then wire brush the bottom of the fire pot and then spray it with Dry Moly for a nice and easy pull. :)
Good luck and let us know if you have anymore questions but we like to see pics of it of course!

Thanks for the advice. I printed it out for when I get the stove tomorrow.

The grill looks snazzy too. [emoji2]

Status
Not open for further replies.