Opinion on Black Locust Season time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I scored a bunch of Black Locust last month. Most of it is dead either fallen or maybe standing, I did not cut it. Some of it looks like it has been dead for years and will burn without steam or hissing right after splitting. The rest has little or no bark and feels very dry after splitting. About 1/2 of it still has it's bark. Here's my problem. I started loading what I thought would be my 12-13 rack with some other Black Locust that has fallen in Feb '10 that I cut and split in Feb, '11. I started stacking this on the far end of my 10-11 rack to fill in behind the 10-11 wood. Then I scored all this super dry stuff in late march and decided that what was gonna be my 11-12 wood would now be pushed to 12-13 so that all I could take advantage of the fast drying Black Locust and let the Oak dry for one more year.. I was way to busy at work to do anything with it, but pile the rounds and logs on the driveway and even left about 3/4 cord of rounds on the old truck for a month. I finally started splitting and stacking yesterday. I stacked the super dry wood on the other end of the rack out from about 1/2 cord of left over 10-11 wood. Now I have a rack that is about 30 feet long with pretty well seasoned wood at both ends and about 12' open in the middle. I have almost enough Black Locust on hand to fill in the middle, but it is the least seasoned of it all. Do you all think that Black Locust, that may or may not have been dead, but cut in late March and split / stacked in May can be ready to burn by January? It will get plenty of sun and wind and I usually split pretty small anyway to make loading my smaller Fireview easier. I now that Black Locust has a very low moisture content to begin with, but I think this might be too close. I could re-stack about 1 1/2 cords to get rid of the empty center and them load the less seasoned stuff on an end, or, somehow mark the middle wood and skip from one end of the rack to the other and burn the middle last, probably in March instead of January. I am not sure if I am making sense here anyway. My wife was of little help when I asked her last night. I figure I might bet some help here.
The attached picture is back in February, but gives an idea of the rack. The 9-10 wood is on the left and the 10-11 is on the right. There is less 9-10 wood and the superdry BL is added on the left and the very dry is added on the right. The least dry will be in the middle. Unless I do some major moving and re-stacking. In a perfect world I could start at one end and go straight through to the other, and then fill in behind as I scrounge more. skipping from end to end will be a major PIA.

Attachments

• DSC06455.jpg
    DSC06455.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 529
I cut some BL in Jan and Im 99% sure i could go out there and burn it now. I dont measure MC so its no gaurntee, but im positive by dec/jan itll be good to go. the stack has shrunk signifigantly! probably about 1- 1 1/2 foot.

Id say split it and throw it where its convient/easiest and itll be ready when your ready to burn it.

**I am newby at all of this stuff but this is what I would do.

Based on my experience you should be fine. Couple reasons why:

1.) It does dry very quickly...I c/s/s some last month and it looks and feels way drier than some cherry that I did at the same time. I don't have a moisture meter...but know what dry wood looks/feels/sounds like.
2.) Chances are you won't be burning it in Nov...more like Jan/Feb when it gets really cold...so there's a couple extra months.

I am with Remmy.

Got a moisture meter? Black Locust is great firewood but it takes longer to get going before you engage that cat. Once it's going it burns hot and long. I've seen some dead stuff ready to burn after a few months and fresh cut take 1-2 years.

I also think you are fine with that timeline.

I scored a bunch of locust in September and toward the end of this winter (March) it was burning fine. I had heard that it seasons in as quickly as two months. There are a couple of things that may have impacted it's ready time for me. 1) It got buried in Snow heavily in December after I split it but before it was stacked. The snow melted slow over top all of the wood. 2) I'm not sure if it's black or Honey locust and if that matters with regard to seasoning. ( yellow wood color, fluted bark) 3) I had it stacked very tightly due to space constraints, no airflow except the ends of the wood.

Despite all of that it burned well by March, so if you have more than 6 mos. with good sunny, windy drying environment, I'd say fill that empty space with it.

Good Luck.

P.S. When I bucked it there were a few dead areas of the tree that almost looked petrified and man it seemed rough on the saw blade. No wonder they use it for fence posts, stuff is hard, hard, hard.

Thanks for the input. The problem may be solved. I just made arrangements to remove about 1/2 cord of Black Locust that has been cut in rounds for 2+ years. I know for sure that it will be good to go this winter. I will stack this first and then sort the other stuff by apparent age to fill the 11-12 stack. I'll stack the less seasoned looking wood in a separate area. An use it to start 12-13. Looks like I will be burning about 85% Black Locust next year with about 10% Ash, A little Oak and some other unknown junk.

Flatbedford said:
Thanks for the input. The problem may be solved. I just made arrangements to remove about 1/2 cord of Black Locust that has been cut in rounds for 2+ years. I know for sure that it will be good to go this winter. I will stack this first and then sort the other stuff by apparent age to fill the 11-12 stack. I'll stack the less seasoned looking wood in a separate area. An use it to start 12-13. Looks like I will be burning about 85% Black Locust next year with about 10% Ash, A little Oak and some other unknown junk.

Man, I wish I was having your problem (too much BL) lol. Its hard to find down here.

Great finds!

When it rains, it pours. I have to be creative when trying to keep 2+ years of wood on only 1/4 acre.

mecreature said:
I am with Remmy.

Me to and have and still am! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.