Opinion on Insert - Pacific Energy Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

carlo@ITALIA

Dec 2, 2017
Italy
Hi all! I am writing from Italy!
I would like to ask you the following. I am evaluating a new insert for my house (around 1800 Sq Ft, winter is not so cold as it goes below zero C so often, house is not so much energy friendly). Today I have an insert (poor secondary burn) that burn ok but very short in burn time, low BTUs and poos blowers..

I am looking to replace with Pacific Energy summit that should fit in. Could you pls answer the folowing:
- will I see the "impact" in comparison with my current insert?
- How do you rate the PE Summit? Can you share experience on Burn time, BTUs, are you satisfied?
- I noticed no bypass damper in the PE. Why? Are you facing smoke out when you reload?
- Are the blower noisy? (can you turn it off?)

Thanks a lot for any experience / suggestion you may want to share !!

BYE
carlo

The Summit is a premium insert and a good heater. With dry firewood, you should notice a nice improvement as long as it is installed correctly. This means a 150mm liner that is at least 4 meters tall. To further improve heat output a block-off plate that seals the damper area can be installed. The blowers on the Summit are quiet at low and medium speed but a bit noisier at the highest speed.

We have the same firebox in our freestanding stove. It is well behaved and does not need a bypass damper. We get no smoke spilling when opening the door when temperatures are below 50º and the stove is easy to start. It heats our 2000 sq ft old farmhouse nicely in a similar climate.

Thanks a lot Begreen ! Nice comment. I will definitely go with it in the near future. I assume the overnight burn is granted right?

BYE carlo

We had the summit in our last home, overnight burns are not a problem at all. As begreen said make sure it is installed correctly. Ares was not and did not put out the heat it is capable of.

57057511650__65D29CA2-868A-4078-9F4B-A1BE4A8291BC.JPG

Overnight burns are not an issue. Hogwildz has been heating with a Summit insert for over a decade now.

I am new but I continue to read PE (inserts, ZC, freestanding) are great stoves. They take a simple, yet modern approach- combined with quality in their designs...I never owned a good insert though. Heck I am demolishing my ZC fireplace and chimney right now. Installing a free standing next to it (Pacific Energy, of course!)

I am new but I continue to read PE (inserts, ZC, freestanding) are great stoves. They take a simple, yet modern approach- combined with quality in their designs...I never owned a good insert though. Heck I am demolishing my ZC fireplace and chimney right now. Installing a free standing next to it (Pacific Energy, of course!)
Hello! I understand your point of view and i must agree that a stove Will provide more heat Easily because of convention and radiant heat.that Is why , i think, blowers efficiency on a wood inserti are so importante to "extract" the heat. If could i would surely go with a standing stove... Bye

Overnight burns are not an issue. Hogwildz has been heating with a Summit insert for over a decade now.
Going on year 15 ;-)
I still don't like the way the air is directed downward on the new models.

We had the summit in our last home, overnight burns are not a problem at all. As begreen said make sure it is installed correctly. Ares was not and did not put out the heat it is capable of.

View attachment 265730
Add that beauty to your signature!