Opinions/experience with Echo saws?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Just looked at the Echo line at a website and wondered about the quality. They have a 5 year warranty, quite nice. My commercial grade Echo weed whacker has been great, which is why I glanced at their saw line. The CS530 was a size similar to the Husky 346 I have been drooling over.

There not bad saw's price would need to be a lot better than there suggested retail price of 469.00 Thats way out of line.

I have a little CS-280 top handle with 12" bar that I used for years when climbing & limbing stuff on the ground.Got it as high school grad gift from parents almost 30 yrs back.Heavy duty little beast,its pretty beat up now.Its been sitting in case in shed at least 10 yrs now.One of these days for S & G I may get it running again,its a real tempermental bastage however,was when new even.About 7 lbs if I remember.

I've got a 370 Echo bought from HD. I have abused the snot out of it and it's taken every bit and then some. I've cut more than 20 cords of wood with it. I am impressed with the ECHO brand. Starts second pull every time. I like the 600P. Just looked at one at a local show - it's a beast.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another ECHO. It's a reliable good saw.

basswidow said:
I've got a 370 Echo bought from HD. I have abused the snot out of it and it's taken every bit and then some. I've cut more than 20 cords of wood with it. I am impressed with the ECHO brand. Starts second pull every time. I like the 600P. Just looked at one at a local show - it's a beast.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another ECHO. It's a reliable good saw.

Why do you have both an MS290 and the ECHO? I'm looking at getting one or the other. Do you use one for certain tasks and the other for the rest?

like the others....... I have a CS 440, and I love it...... Has been stone cold reliable and easy to cut with. May not outrun a Stihl 250, but it keeps right up!

My Dad had a CS302 late 70's. Was the most dependable of the bunch, until he bought the 041 Stihl in my sig.
My B.I.L. bought a new Echo 5 yrs ago when clearing the lot for his new house. Nice saw, no problems. Don't know the model but it came with a 16" bar.

I still run a late-70s CS-315. Still runs fine. It took some time off a bit back when #2 son and idiot friend shattered the starter pulley; Husqvarna part fit, and it's singing again. (They're selling on ebay for more than I paid new; not adjusted for inflation.)

DanCorcoran said:
Why do you have both an MS290 and the ECHO? I'm looking at getting one or the other. Do you use one for certain tasks and the other for the rest?

My Echo has a 16 inch bar.

The Stihl 290 has a 20 inch bar. I wanted something alittle bigger. I will say I prefer the smaller ECHO over the farm boss, mostly because I have 3 years with it and only 1 day cutting with the farm boss. I only use the Stihl on bigger trunks.

Wow, now I'm conflicted. I was thinking of getting the 290 with a 16" bar. That leaves me the option of getting an 18" or 20", if I ever need one.

Status
Not open for further replies.