Opinions need on burn style...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maladjusted

Mar 2, 2017
Richmond VA
I have a question about how pellet stoves work...

I have a new Harman Absolute63... this will be the first full season with it as I purchased and installed at the end of last season (March).

The way I have the schedule set up is the house drops back to 66 at night. The schedule dictates at 5:00 am bring the temp up to 74... so it likely runs full blast for an hour or so. (dunno... I am snoozing).

Then during the day it maintains 74 (we work from home) and has a very low flame going all day.

My question... will running the stove with a very low flame like this all day, every day, produce excess creosote or have any other detrimental effects?

Opinions valued.

Thanks,
Mal

Attachments

• IMG_4354.JPG
    IMG_4354.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 101
Your Harman is one of the best designed units on the market. Run it like you want & if you clean it at the recommended intervals, you will be fine.
You won't get any creosote build-up. That is caused by burning wet, improperly seasoned cord wood. Wet pellets will not burn. They won't even remain pellets. They revert to wet sawdust.

Reactions: Orson_Yancey
Thanks DAKSY... I figured so much but figured I'd check with the seasoned pellet burners.

man I love this stove.... after burning wood for 20 years, the lack of bugs, dirt and general PITA of wood will not be missed!!

Mal

But you get to retain that nice, even, dry heat of the wood stove.

No comparison... The Hearthstone Soapstone Heritage was anything but even heat.... I would load (pack it full) at night... and run it at 3/4 vent opening.. it would crank for 3 hours, run on low for 3 and be out by 4 am. I woke to a cold (well cool as the heat pumps and furnace would kick on to at least make it bearable to get up) house and then had to go through the rigors of refiring a cold stove. It would take about an hour to get the temp up downstairs.

This morning... the house dropped back to 66 downstairs last night (25 degrees here)... upstairs 60. The Harman kicked on at 5 am. I got up at 7.. it was 74 downstairs and 65 upstairs. Neither upstairs heat pump, nor downstairs furnace even came on. (That may change when the temps are more consistently in the 30s). I add roughly 1 bag a day. (this will increase with colder weather)... it runs low all day and keeps the downstairs at 74.. even heat.

I do miss the crackling of a wood fire with the door open.. but not enough to make me regret my changeover... at all!

Mal