opinions needed for processed wood left in a pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would definatly try to get it stacked with or without skids under it, it will last a lot longer.

My memory may not be exact any longer but when I joined this forum I'm sure I had over 20 cord split and stacked. That has been long gone! 70 cord is a lot but it is not a lifetime's worth of wood. Shoot, we've split close to 300 cord with our hydraulic splitter in a little over 20 years.
Dennis, No argument at all..... Just a fact meaning this, many people have to pay for wood, and so be it, either they chose not to buy a saw or do it them self, what have you. But I'm sure there are folks, maybe elderly, don't have a truck, maybe a disabled VET, or even people as simply as me, where wood is tough to harvest. I'm not afraid to go ask, beg, knock on doors, etc.... for wood. Only because where I'm at, wood is like gold, but for some it's not a big deal. Kind of associate it like trying to find fire wood in NYC or LA. Anyway, I didn't mean any disrespect to anyone, If I had that much wood I'd start my own power plant;)

Dave, no argument here either. We too have had to buy wood in the past but hated it.

You are correct too in that everyone has a different situation. We are blessed to have our own wood and the time to put it up. It takes us a long time too! And one reason we have plenty of wood put up is that I am into my 70's and am partially disabled. Wife is in pretty much the same position. We still feel blessed.

IMG_3853.JPG Well we didn't get quite done but have roughly 55 cords in the piles. Here is a pic as it sits right now. Processor thought pallets underneath were a waste of time and will just get in the way when loading it later, so I took his advice. He can run up to 20' logs at 24" diameter, so could do everything I had except a few pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.