Opinions on mulberry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Grab all you can every time you can. Split and stack off the ground, pallets work great, where there's good air flow. Michigan isn't known for great winters but you can get wood to season then too with top cover. Temps aren't as important as airflow.

In my experience, the red mulberry is pretty dry to begin with, like osage, and it doesn't need much time to season. But a moisture meter is the only way to know for sure.
So far, I haven't scored a big Mulberry yet, just small, dead ones that I've come across in the woods while cutting other stuff. Obviously, all of that has been pretty dry by the time I've found it.
Funny you should mention Osage...it's also in the Mulberry Family. ==c

Nice purple blue flame. Must be very dry. At least 3 year seasoning. I've had some stacked for 5 years and it is very dark and dry.

Today we pretty much filled up this space with more mulberry but we still have a fair amount to split and stack.
DSC06708.jpg

That looks beautiful.... And as it dries the ends will turn from yellow to reddish/brown, really cool stuff!

Excellent wood. And it's very entertaining. Has a lot of snap, crackle and pop.

Mulberry makes a pretty good firewood. Just make sure that you give plenty of time to dry. In order to make sure that it dries properly see that it stays off the ground and it is well ventilated. I love the way mulberry wood sparkles when it burns.

Mulberry is my favorite wood to burn. The blue/purple secondaries are really cool. I call it the mulberry blues!

Great heat, not much ash. If I could only burn one wood forever, I would choose mulberry!