opinions on satellite tv

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
damn, I have mature white pines within 50' that wrap from the south to the west around my house. It is looking more and more like i am gonna have to stick to cable. Actually, if you look at my avatar picture, that picture is facing south west.

I think the DishNetwork satellites (transponder 110 and 119 when I had DishNetwork) were all known to be in geosync. orbit roughly over Texas, so here in the NE, the general bearing and elevation about the horizon would be SWish...

Jay

I have had DTV for about 6 months now. Like most people I was fed up with the cable company. I'm saving money with DTV but had some problems with losing the local channels with even the slightest rainfall. They came out and tweaked the sat and now it's better. The only time I lose reception is in a heavy downpoor. I got rid of my land line and if I want pay per view I go to DTV site and order, no extra charge. I think I pay $88 per month for internet, DTV, and 4 local channels.

I'd climb up on the roof with a compass and elevation tool and see if cutting one or two branches might work.
If you can cut the branches (or hire someone to climb up), your trees or owner doesn't mind.

billb3 said:
I'd climb up on the roof with a compass and elevation tool and see if cutting one or two branches might work.
If you can cut the branches (or hire someone to climb up), your trees or owner doesn't mind.
forget that.....
just mount the dish to the side of one of those pines :)

Anyone here still using C-band? We're a dying breed out here. Here's what I get for $33.33 a month:

http://www.callnps.com/890.htm

8 foot dish works with snow on it and never had a rain fade problem.

Verizon wants $48 a month for FIOS, but they nickel and dime you for every little thing, like the basic box ($6)! Oh, and thay want to migrate your phone service over to fiber and take away any possibility of competition.

Oh, well.....

Chris

GVA said:
billb3 said:
forget that.....

That would work well on a windy day, eh ?

billb3 said:
GVA said:
billb3 said:
forget that.....

That would work well on a windy day, eh ?

NOT! But he brings up a good point; it doesn't have to be on or near the house. My father has his DTV dish on a fence post strategically aimed up a lane through the woods. A good installer wil find a way without having to hack up your trees.

Chris

My brother in law has his dish on the edge of the clearing on a post at the base of his pines.............very similar to the OP's yard setup...
Sorry guys that sarcastic side comes out of me from time to time....... :cheese:

Yes weather does affect service. My beefs (we have dish network) are with hidden fees however. We signed up with a coupon offer and were supposed to get $10 off the monthly fee for iirc 10 months. This never happened. To be fair it may have been our fault you had to sign up on some website which my wife said she could never access. I had no way to verify this (had no internet at the time she was doing it from work). I can also tell you that we get charged $5 A MONTH PER RECIEVER because they are not hooked up to phone lines. I do like the DVR (doesn't mean much since you can get that with cable also) but the wife hates it because the plan we have doesn't have some of her favorite channels on it. When my contract is up We are going back to cable. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.