Opinions on stoves...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dtabor

Feb 8, 2007
Lake Elmore, VT
Since every topic seems to be hashed out over and over here I thought Id ask for opinions....

Its not going to be in the near future, maybe next heating season, but Im about ready to think about saving for a new stove due to the bad press and issues with VC.

My two "living" floors are 2500 sq feet. I realize I'll never heat it all but the VC can do a decent job. So, a large stove, black cast iron, non catalytic, looks like a conventional wood stove, not the boxy, modern look of some new stoves that has the fewest problems and easiest to operate.

Given those specs, what would the "experts" here recommend. From what Ive seen here, Im thinking the Quadra Isle Royale might fit this but want to see what others have to say.

D

No, the Neverburn doesnt work properly "most" of the time Id guess. It stalls frequently. I made the purchase before I found this site and read about the problems and then it was too late. I recovered my costs last year since I didnt have to pay for oil other than heating water. I thought Id use it for a couple 2-3 years then get something that works as designed so Im not sitting there babysitting the stove constantly (unless I WANT to that is), is easier to maintain and the company back's their product. When I bring up issues with the stove and things that Ive read here and other reviews, they look at my like Im crazy and say theirs in the shop works just fine but I have yet to be there when its burning...hmmm, wonder why they dont use it more often???

Look at the reviews section here on Hearth. There are product reviews on any of the popular stoves, and some unpopular ones. It's really quite a resource, and how I decided on my insert (which I love). It seems like there are a lot of brands that you won't go wrong with, and only a couple that give people consistent problems.

Yep, Ive been on there too. I just thought that there is a pretty good representation of the different makes here and it might be easier to get some general opinions first then when I decided to buy, I can narrow it down from there.

THanks for the quick responses.

D

How about a Pacific Energy Alderlea? Cast iron look, well built, simple to operate, well respected on the forum and you can choose from 3 sizes. I don't have one, but I do have a Pacific Energy Vista Insert and it's a tough little stove that really puts out the heat.

yep, the Alderlea..... or the Harman Oakwood when/if I ever change.

I have no reservation in backing up the Isle Royal as a valid contender. It has been one heck of a work horse for several trouble free years for me.

Not sure if I should be suspicious or what.....the PE and the Quadra are both sold by the same dealer where I bought my VC and they NEVER mentioned either to me, just steered me to the VC. They knew my needs when I went in looking and at least the PE shows "up to 3000 sf" which is more then the VC or the Quadra lists. I realize I cant believe what I read about square footage but still.....I like the looks of the large PE though.....I'll have to study more about each company's technology used too as Im not real familiar with all this except what Ive read here

Thanks for all the input everyone....

D

In todays EPA stoves, firebox size would probably be the most accurate way to estimate heat output when reviewing cast stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.