Options for burning wood in existing fireplace in 1898 home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
... I've found several UK-based sites that have suitable options, but they don't seem to have US distributors ...

My wife and I watch Escape to the Country on DABL. Lots of smaller wood-burners shown in homes on the show that don't look like units we've seen available here.

On my accent ... I was born in Glen Cove. We moved from LI to CT when I was 6. I would get asked to say "Long Island" on the school bus and the kids would laugh. No idea why. Doesn't everybody say "LawnGuyland" very quickly as one word? :)

Reactions: biondanonima
Quick update: we found a local fireplace shop with the Valor portrait series on display and both DH and I agreed that if we have to go gas, one of these models will be perfect, both size- and style-wise. However, they also informed us that due to Westchester county's moratorium on new natural gas use, we may not be allowed to add a gas appliance to our home even though we already have gas for our range and dryer. Trying to schedule a plumber visit to find out whether our existing meter has capacity and will go from there!

I also had the company that fixed our other chimney/fireplace out to have a look today - the head tech said that the chimney is large enough for a 9-10" oval insulated liner and that it should draw just fine if we choose to go the wood route (I would hate to find out the hard way that he's wrong though - I have read about some very expensive mistakes in this regard!). We also have 16" of depth in the fire box, which is more than I was expecting. He said he can cut out the back of the coal insert and keep the frame intact to preserve the original exterior appearance, then line the fire box with 1" thick heatproof brick so we retain as much depth as possible. However, it's going to cost quite a bit more than installing the Valor unit would, even with the cost of running a gas line over to the chimney and some minor electrical work to connect the fan. DH really had his heart set on wood, but I think the price tag may be enough to change his mind.

Big thanks to everyone for their guidance thus far!

Reactions: Jadefox
If permitted, the Valor Portait is a good choice. They make a quality product. A friend installed this gas stove in their house and it looked great.

Reactions: biondanonima
Quick update: we found a local fireplace shop with the Valor portrait series on display and both DH and I agreed that if we have to go gas, one of these models will be perfect, both size- and style-wise. However, they also informed us that due to Westchester county's moratorium on new natural gas use, we may not be allowed to add a gas appliance to our home even though we already have gas for our range and dryer. Trying to schedule a plumber visit to find out whether our existing meter has capacity and will go from there!

I also had the company that fixed our other chimney/fireplace out to have a look today - the head tech said that the chimney is large enough for a 9-10" oval insulated liner and that it should draw just fine if we choose to go the wood route (I would hate to find out the hard way that he's wrong though - I have read about some very expensive mistakes in this regard!). We also have 16" of depth in the fire box, which is more than I was expecting. He said he can cut out the back of the coal insert and keep the frame intact to preserve the original exterior appearance, then line the fire box with 1" thick heatproof brick so we retain as much depth as possible. However, it's going to cost quite a bit more than installing the Valor unit would, even with the cost of running a gas line over to the chimney and some minor electrical work to connect the fan. DH really had his heart set on wood, but I think the price tag may be enough to change his mind.

Big thanks to everyone for their guidance thus far!
Following along, as we are trying to decide what to do with a bricked-over fireplace with a thimble connected to a liner. Our house is older, and this fireplace is in the front parlor, so we're trying to stick with that aesthetic. If we go gas (bottled), Victorian Fireplace Shop in Virginia was recommended to us for an insert, but the price of gas right now....