Options to replace free standing schrader w/exhaust pipe on back

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mentz24

Oct 7, 2018
lancaster, pa
Hi all,
I'm anticipating buying my first house end of this week and trying to get an idea of options to replace the existing wood stove. It is a rancher with a big schrader wood stove on the main floor. I initially was thinking to replace with a pellet stove since they are easier/cleaner, but I now have access to free wood and I don't think the cost to switching to a nice pellet stove would be worth the money in the long run/resale of house. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I'm learning as I go on this, but my question is what are my options to replace the schrader stove since it has a pipe right out the back?? And do wood stoves need an air intake pipe too like pellets do? I've attached pics for reference. I know schraders are junk (even though this one still looks brand new, without seals on inside tho), and I want to replace it with a QUALITY, efficient stove that could be great for supplemental heat (main source is heat pump) when I need it. I really like the cast iron, porcelain finish ones. I'd love for it to accent the room well.

I think I am going to have a problem since the pipe is so low and close to the wall. I'm assuming there is some sort of liner in the flue, but since I am not living there I don't know exactly yet. I'm also very uneducated on that. Any advice would be appreciated!! I'm also planning on getting rid of the half moon part of the hearth and replacing the floor with maybe with some sort of porelain tile or laminate - not sure yet.
Unfortunately I don't have exact dimensions, it's probably close to 4 ft wide and at least 3 ft high? I'd hope I could replace it with something smaller. The house has approx 1,300 sqft of living space, and stove is in end room.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Options to replace free standing schrader w/exhaust pipe on back
    IMG_9720.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 138
    IMG_9718.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 124
    IMG_9719.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
That's a big beast for heating 1300 sq ft. It was a well made tank in its day, but inefficient compared to modern options. The somewhat challenging factor will be the flue exit height. With luck, something like a Jotul F55 or Woodstock Ideal Steel would work. What is the exact height from the hearth to the top of the flue pipe? Is there an 8" or 6" flue on the Schrader?

A modern stove is going to insist on proper draft and dry wood. Do you already have a few cords of fully seasoned wood stacked and top-covered?

That's a big beast for heating 1300 sq ft. It was a well made tank in its day, but inefficient compared to modern options. The somewhat challenging factor will be the flue exit height. With luck, something like a Jotul F55 or Woodstock Ideal Steel would work. What is the exact height from the hearth to the top of the flue pipe? Is there an 8" or 6" flue on the Schrader?

A modern stove is going to insist on proper draft and dry wood. Do you already have a few cords of fully seasoned wood stacked and top-covered?

Well, I believe it's 1300 sqft of livable space, but around 2000 overall. I'm not in the house yet, but will be this friday once I settle. I can get more exact details then. Just wanted to know if there was anything I could look into ahead of time off the limited info I have.
Also, would this stove be worth anything? or just scrap metal?

In great condition like that it will be worth at least a couple hundred.