Orange peels and other myths

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory92

Oct 23, 2008
Central Ohio
Last weekend during my first burn my Father-in-law stopped by, and I showed him what I'd been up to with the fireplace, woodpile and chimney repairs. He told me to throw orange peels on the fire to get rid of any creosote in the chimney. ????What????? He said his Dad always did it. He also said his Mom always left the room anytime he was messing with the stove. Hmmmm?

Has anyone ever heard of this? If so does it work. I'm pretty skeptical at this point. While we're at it what are other myths about wood burning that you've been told and proved true or debunked. Are there things that you refused to believe until you tried it yourself?

Thanks

Pine gunking up chimneys is probably the biggest myth of all time. Throw those orange peels in the garbage not in the fire.

Put the orange peels around, on or under the stove for the aroma for sure - but creosote??

bluefrier said:
Throw those orange peels in the garbage not in the fire.
No, not the garbage, the compost bin.

Put the orange peels in the COMPOST not the garbage or the fire. The orange zest, however, COULD be shaved off and put into a liquid solution to help clean the creosote off, on your next sweep or stove cleaning, since orange oil is good at breaking through resiny/gunky things. However, the temps are so high that any useful properties the orange oil could have are combusted if you put them in the stove. I can see how the myth may have originated with a smidgen of fact, but I don't believe it.

edit: LLI beat me to it!

So far it's what I thought. Peels are going in the compost. Any other good myths?

This is the first time I've heard of orange peelings, but over the years, I've heard "folk wisdom" recommending several improbable things which, thrown in the fire, are guaranteed to clean the chimney, or at least have some desired affect on creosote buildup:

Flashlight batteries

Potato peelings

Aluminum cans

Galvanized nails

Rock Salt

thechimneysweep said:
Rock Salt
On a new brick chimney, salt was tossed onto a very hot fire to glaze the flue liner.

thechimneysweep said:
This is the first time I've heard of orange peelings, but over the years, I've heard "folk wisdom" recommending several improbable things which, thrown in the fire, are guaranteed to clean the chimney, or at least have some desired affect on creosote buildup:

Potato peelings

My Dad thinks that this one is true, and with Thanksgiving coming, he'll be in his glory with all the potato peels - he'll put like a pound of them in the woodstove. I'm guessing that those peels must be what, maybe 50% moisture by weight? Not sure how that jibes with cleaning out creosote, a primary cause of which is excess moisture in the first place...

Don't put those orange peels in the fire and don't put them in the compost either, eat them. Make them into candied orange peel first, then eat them They are a fantastic sweet snack.

My Parrots love oranges. And the love to "throw" the peels on the rug 8-/ I pick the peels of the rug and toss them out in the back yard. Then the deer munch on them..... then I suppose they are officially "composted", so to speak ;-P

LLigetfa said:
thechimneysweep said:
Rock Salt
On a new brick chimney, salt was tossed onto a very hot fire to glaze the flue liner.

I've heard of using rock salt to clean creosote...never tried it but i've heard of it. Isn't TSP a salt?

Seems to me we used to squeeze and throw the orange and lemon peels into the flames to make unique colored flames.
Other things, too. Kids goofing around.

Billb3...

Totally, we used to do the same thing...dry out the orange peels and throw them in the fire for the blue flame effect. We also used to get these pinecones that were dipped in a was and (I think) copper sulfide mixture to create colored flames...good fun!

A fire that roars up the chimney = an omen of an argument or a storm.

Sparks clinging to the back of the chimney are a sign of important news in the offing.

A sudden fall of soot presages bad weather or a disaster of some kind.

Coal (a symbol of fire) is lucky and small pieces were often carried in the pocket. Its use in the tradition of 'first footing' on New Year's Eve is well known.

To keep a real horseshoe in the bottom of your fire place (where the ashes end up) guards the entire fire place from negative energies.

All ashes should be cleaned out and buried on the property.

Olive branches hung on the chimney keep it secure and serve to deflect lighting strikes.

Looking at the fire while lighting it is considered bad luck.

If you wish for something, you must poke the fire for 13 minutes with the poker while visualizing your wish.

A fire must have 13 sticks to burn properly.

Nettles thrown into a fire conquers fear.

Vervain thrown into a fire dispels the pangs of unrequited love.

It's very lucky to meet a chimney sweep by chance. Make a wish when sighting one, and the wish will come true.

It is bad luck to light three cigarettes with the same match.

If a candle flame suddenly turns blue, there's a ghost nearby.

Wart cure: touch each wart with chalk before inscribing a cross for each on the back of the fireplace. As the crosses became obscured by soot, the warts vanish.

No those are some good ones. Maybe hard to prove but worth the read.

HotCookCpl said:
Don't put those orange peels in the fire and don't put them in the compost either, eat them. Make them into candied orange peel first, then eat them They are a fantastic sweet snack.

Recipe?

I've heard the one about trowing your dead batteries in your fire to fight creosote. Don't know if there is any merit ... but I've heard of it.

I have heard yarns about those who would throw a live ferret in the stove to ward off creosote....

I threw a cat in my stove and it took care of all of my creosote problems! ;-)

CANDIED ORANGE AND LEMON PEELS

INGREDIENTS

* 6 lemon peels, cut into 1/4 inch strips
* 4 orange peels, cut into 1/4 inch strips
* 2 cups white sugar
* 1 cup water
* 1/3 cup white sugar for decoration

DIRECTIONS

1. Place lemon and orange peel in large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 20 minutes, drain and set aside.
2. In medium saucepan, combine 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil and cook until mixture reaches thread stage, 230 degrees F (108 degrees C) on candy thermometer, or small amount dropped in cold water forms a soft thread. Stir in peel, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Drain.
3. Roll peel pieces, a few at a time, in remaining sugar. Let dry on wire rack several hours. Store in airtight container.

Caz said:
CANDIED ORANGE AND LEMON PEELS

INGREDIENTS

* 6 lemon peels, cut into 1/4 inch strips
* 4 orange peels, cut into 1/4 inch strips
* 2 cups white sugar
* 1 cup water
* 1/3 cup white sugar for decoration

DIRECTIONS

1. Place lemon and orange peel in large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 20 minutes, drain and set aside.
2. In medium saucepan, combine 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil and cook until mixture reaches thread stage, 230 degrees F (108 degrees C) on candy thermometer, or small amount dropped in cold water forms a soft thread. Stir in peel, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Drain.
3. Roll peel pieces, a few at a time, in remaining sugar. Let dry on wire rack several hours. Store in airtight container.

MMMMMMM. My thread finally pays off. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.