Ordered a Montlake 300 in early July, was told October, then Nov, Jan, Feb, now at end of march. Other options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeff15

Dec 9, 2020
Tahoe
I give up on the Montlake. I don't even want it anymore! Every month I ask for an update and I'm told next month. I'm mid renovation and haven't been ready for HVAC all winter so I finally caved 6 weeks ago and installed a gas garage heater downstairs (as all my wood stoves are upstairs, the first floor was an icebox..)

Looking at other options, I can get the Osburn 3500 to fit, it seems to be the only comparable one in terms of firebox volume.

Or is there anything new coming out? I could wait. Or go for something classic / non EPA? I don't know. I'm DIY.

I have an Osburn 2000 freestanding stove I got last year... mostly happy with it, but not perfect. LOVE my Morso Squirrel, but need something bigger obviously.

I already cut out the heatilator/heatform last year and installed a liner because I thought I'd get the insert in October :(

House is 1800 sq ft, cathedral ceilings 1.5 story. With the way the layout is changing, basically the whole 1800 sq ft will be open area, and the bedrooms are moving to an addition. House will get air sealed, closed cell foam in the ceilings, etc... so originally I was thinking bigger the better for the insert, but maybe not? I do like the looks of the Matrix 2700 a lot more than the 3500. The 2700 would heat well I think, and look better, but perhaps I'd kick myself forever for not getting the bigger box!

Last edited:
Can you even get a permit to install a non EPA stove there? I know the tahoe area has some special regulations.

I'd use one anyhow. They burn more efficiently anyhow and don't pollute the neighborhood as much.

That's terrible. The Osburn would work. Also, look at the Pacific Energy Summit for a comparable.

Can you even get a permit to install a non EPA stove there? I know the tahoe area has some special regulations.

I'd use one anyhow. They burn more efficiently anyhow and don't pollute the neighborhood as much.
That is quite incorrect. They are much less efficient and have much greater emissions. Many are 25x more polluting or more.

Additionally, "the TRPA requires that if there is a wood-burning stove in a property, it must be certified by the EPA. An EPA-certified wood stove has been independently tested by an accredited laboratory to meet a particulate emissions limit of 7.5 grams per hour for noncatalytic wood stoves and 4.1 grams per hour for catalytic wood stoves."

Last edited:
Reactions: cahaak
That is quite incorrect. They are much less efficient and have much greater emissions. Many are 25x more polluting or more.

Additionally, "the TRPA requires that if there is a wood-burning stove in a property, it must be certified by the EPA. An EPA-certified wood stove has been independently tested by an accredited laboratory to meet a particulate emissions limit of 7.5 grams per hour for noncatalytic wood stoves and 4.1 grams per hour for catalytic wood stoves."
Yes. My post was written poorly. What I intended it to say was that I'd use an EPA stove even if it was not required.

Reactions: begreen
Ah, that makes more sense. It looks like it's ok if the stove is a modern EPA stove, but is always good to check local ordinances. Good suggestion for the Tahoe area.

Yeah good point on the Tahoe area, even though I'm on the Nevada side, the TRPA still governs us all... it's honestly surprising the TRPA hasn't banned them yet.

Looks like the Osburn 3500 or Matrix will be my choice, pending inventory. Definitely frustrating about the Montlake, but perhaps a blessing in disguise as I've heard the company has changed hands a few times recently, and I can't find a single review anywhere. Searches here on the forum come up dry as well - not even an anecdote that someone bought one.

Losing the cook top will be a bummer, but I'll take that as an excuse to install another freestanding stove in the dining area :) Montlake calls it a "warming top" - so it might have been useless anyway.

The Osburn 3500 stovetop projects into the room about 6" at full extension. That would be the better bet for power outages. The Matrix 2700 will need the blower running most of the time to convect the heat due to its flush front.

The Osburn 3500 stovetop projects into the room about 6" at full extension. That would be the better bet for power outages. The Matrix 2700 will need the blower running most of the time to convect the heat due to its flush front.
Ahhh good point. I hate running fans. I've always wondered how efficient inserts or stoves really are (75%?? Come on, there's so much heat going up the pipe), and if the BTU rating is really even close to accurate. Not to mention the same BTU insert vs freestanding... I bet the latter heats a lot better.

My 80K BTU gas garage heater kicks my freestanding Osburn 2000's butt.

The Mountlake is 10k btu smaller (and .5 cu ft smaller) than the Osburn 3500, but the Montlake protrudes much further. But I can't in good conscience continue to pursue the Montlake.

Got an update from my dealer... Osburn 3500 is available in May. Not ideal, but perhaps worth the wait.

Found two other contenders (EPA + large firebox)

Supreme Lumis 32 https://supremem.com/lumis_32.php
Travis/Lopi Large Flush Arched NexGen-Fyre https://www.fireplacex.com/product/large-flush-arched/

Anyone have experience with these?

What insert has the best build quality? I would consider dropping to a 2.4 box if the quality is really good. Osburn leaves something to be desired... rattling fan, mediocre handle, non-satisfying air damper. Given how much I use stoves, small things like throttling down the air or closing the door can leave you either feeling nice, or... whatever.

Ahhh good point. I hate running fans. I've always wondered how efficient inserts or stoves really are (75%?? Come on, there's so much heat going up the pipe), and if the BTU rating is really even close to accurate. Not to mention the same BTU insert vs freestanding... I bet the latter heats a lot better.

My 80K BTU gas garage heater kicks my freestanding Osburn 2000's butt.

The Mountlake is 10k btu smaller (and .5 cu ft smaller) than the Osburn 3500, but the Montlake protrudes much further. But I can't in good conscience continue to pursue the Montlake.
It's amazing how cool (relatively) the space around good inserts is. You might be surprised at how well they can scavenge the heat and send it into the heating space.

Got an update from my dealer... Osburn 3500 is available in May. Not ideal, but perhaps worth the wait.

Found two other contenders (EPA + large firebox)

Supreme Lumis 32 https://supremem.com/lumis_32.php
Travis/Lopi Large Flush Arched NexGen-Fyre https://www.fireplacex.com/product/large-flush-arched/

Anyone have experience with these?

What insert has the best build quality? I would consider dropping to a 2.4 box if the quality is really good. Osburn leaves something to be desired... rattling fan, mediocre handle, non-satisfying air damper. Given how much I use stoves, small things like throttling down the air or closing the door can leave you either feeling nice, or... whatever.
The Lopi Large flush is a hybrid insert with a catalyst. It can put out decent heat, but as a flush insert, it will be blower dependent for good convection. The Regency Ci2700 is another flush insert to look at if this is the preferred look. Did you inquire about the availability of a PE Summit insert? It is visually similar to the Montlake 300 and projects out onto the hearth for better heating without the blower.

The Lopi Large flush is a hybrid insert with a catalyst. It can put out decent heat, but as a flush insert, it will be blower dependent for good convection. Did you inquire about the availability of a PE Summit insert?

The new Lopi / FPX Large flush are not cats, just primary and secondary air. The older HybridFyre were cats. One con of this unit is the narrower firebox at the rear. A 3.0 cu ft box with a narrower rear is going to fit a LOT less wood than the Osburn 3.5 cu ft square box.

Can't find any reviews on the Supreme Lumis.

The Summit does look like a good option, not sure how I missed it. I will check on availability. Looks wise, probably my least favorite though.

I like the looks of the Lopi the best, and the build quality seems to be better than the Osburn

Yes, you're right. I was thinking of the predecessor. This is heading in a different direction than originally with the Montlake 300. The Summit has a deep firebox for true N/S loading. The Lopi's firebox is shallow and an E/W loader. The Matrix is in between. It can handle 14" wood loaded N/S. The Regency Ci2700 is a hybrid and primarily an E/W loader.

Yes, you're right. I was thinking of the predecessor. This is heading in a different direction than originally with the Montlake 300. The Summit has a deep firebox for true N/S loading. The Lopi's firebox is shallow and an E/W loader. The Matrix is in between. It can handle 14" wood loaded N/S. The Regency Ci2700 is a hybrid and primarily an E/W loader.
Thanks.

Decisions, decisions... nothing seems to quite fit exactly what I want.

Maybe the insert ends up becoming more of an ambiance fireplace, and I stick another freestanding stove in the dining/kitchen area.

E/W loading is definitely a turn-off, but perhaps okay if just for ambiance.

Just stumbled across this one, same manufacturer as the Osburn - this is basically an Osburn 3500 - but looks nicer in my opinion.