Original Mt Vernon Quadrafire rear baffle issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 5, 2014
NEW JERSEY
The rear baffle of my stove seems like its getting worn out around the cut out where the pellet feed chute is. The square cut-out seems to be getting larger around the bottom and right edges causing ash and debris to go in and its just not burning right. I've tried to purchase a new back baffle but cant seem to find one where I dont need an entire $600+ dollar upgrade kit. Has anyone else had this issue before? Is there a way to fix mine like by welding a bead around the chute area in question? Or does anybody know where I can buy a replacement? Even if its pre-owned. My exact stove is the Mt Vernon Quadrafire Original Pellet stove and the serial number is 1775799. Thanks in advance for your help!

Most have gasket material stuffed around that area. kap

7005-070-2__69384.1493926378.jpg
This is the replacement baffle that I found for sale online. It dosent have any gasket material around the pellet shaft hole either. Kapp, do you have the same stove as I do? Looks like it in your pic

The rear baffle of my stove seems like its getting worn out around the cut out where the pellet feed chute is. The square cut-out seems to be getting larger around the bottom and right edges causing ash and debris to go in and its just not burning right. I've tried to purchase a new back baffle but cant seem to find one where I dont need an entire $600+ dollar upgrade kit. Has anyone else had this issue before? Is there a way to fix mine like by welding a bead around the chute area in question? Or does anybody know where I can buy a replacement? Even if its pre-owned. My exact stove is the Mt Vernon Quadrafire Original Pellet stove and the serial number is 1775799. Thanks in advance for your help!
How warn out it could it be and would that make it burn poorly.
Wouldn't it just be a small leak on the intake system (wash) in the box?

Mine is a bit wider on one side. When troubleshooting another issue I have, I dd notices that occasionally a small ember will pop back there.

KAP, are you suggesting shoving some sort of gasket rope in the opening? Mine didn't have that but I suppose I could shove something in there.

Thanks,

How warn out it could it be and would that make it burn poorly.
Wouldn't it just be a small leak on the intake system (wash) in the box?

Mine is a bit wider on one side. When troubleshooting another issue I have, I dd notices that occasionally a small ember will pop back there.

KAP, are you suggesting shoving some sort of gasket rope in the opening? Mine didn't have that but I suppose I could shove something in there.

Thanks,
Its just the bottom and right side of the pellet shaft that seem worn out. Probably like a quarter inch or slightly larger. I feel there is alot of embers and ash going behind the rear baffle because of this. Wont that gap mess up the proper air flow and cause a poor burn/lazy flame etc

The gasket I am talking about is behind the brick, around the chute, to keep smoke in exhaust path. If you think your stove is burning poorly because of a gap, you can stuff some gasket in there. My Santa Fe has a little gap around chute, but fills with ash. I would be checking for other things as to why your stove is running poorly. Bad pot gasket, pot floor having too much of an opening in back, pot holes plugged. Exhaust path partially plugged.kap

Mine doesn’t have any gasket in there. Doesn’t look like it ever did. I am currently replacing the blower and resealing the blower housing. I’ll likely shove som rope gasket or rock wool in there on my way out.