Osburn 2000 wood stove views ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hearthstone 99

Jun 23, 2022
Howard county md
Anyone got opinions on this stove ? It’s the right size, the price is pretty good and it looks solid and built to last
The dealer called and said he maybe can get one from their supplier and he’s doing his homework about a wall plate to reduce clearances because we don’t want to have to remodel the hearth my wife would rather pay the extra for a Jotel Greenville , the Jotel heats 1800 the 2000 heats 2100 sq
Thanks

I’ve heard good things about Osburn but don’t get caught up in the manufactures numbers. Both stoves have roughly the same firebox size so will hold the same amount of BTU’s. The Osburn may be eligible for the tax credit? The Jotul is a nice stove too, love mine.

Reactions: Hearthstone 99
A happy wife is a happy life.

Reactions: Hearthstone 99
I’ve heard good things about Osburn but don’t get caught up in the manufactures numbers. Both stoves have roughly the same firebox size so will hold the same amount of BTU’s. The Osburn may be eligible for the tax credit? The Jotul is a nice stove too, love mine.
The Osburn apparently has metal panels that fix to the wall to reduce distance from combustibles but the dealer isn’t sure if there is a heat shield for the stove itself , we are not too thrilled about metal plates on the wall

3F9830A7-9ACF-4072-B110-407F28E19A68.png

Had to look it up myself because the salesman didn’t know

In my experience, most salesman are pretty useless and don't know what they are talking about.

Will your chimney work well with both stoves? Chimneys are the engine for the stove. If it’s not right, it won’t matter what stove you pick. Same with wood. Newer stoves want much dryer wood than some of the older ones.

Hmm...never heard of a manufacturer offering wall heat shields, other than what's on some stoves

The Osburn apparently has metal panels that fix to the wall to reduce distance from combustibles but the dealer isn’t sure if there is a heat shield for the stove itself , we are not too thrilled about metal plates on the wall
That sounds like the Osburn modular heat shield, part AC02710. This is one of the rare stoves that has been thoroughly tested in many different install scenarios and has the tested clearances for those scenarios. They sell a prefab shield but the wall shielding can also be DIY and tiled following the manual's instructions in section 7.4 on page 36. This is an NFPA 211 wall shielding system.

Do you need closer clearances than those listed in the manual for the stove with double-wall connector pipe?

Reactions: brenndatomu
That sounds like the Osburn modular heat shield, part AC02710. This is one of the rare stoves that has been thoroughly tested in many different install scenarios and has the tested clearances for those scenarios. They sell a prefab shield but the wall shielding can also be DIY and tiled following the manual's instructions in section 7.4 on page 36. This is an NFPA 211 wall shielding system.

Do you need closer clearances than those listed in the manual for the stove with double-wall connector pipe?

@begreen, our heritage that we are replacing had a heat shield on the stove itself which I think was about 6” or so from the wall, but I like the Osburn stoves they have great reviews and are solid made but they don’t come with a heat shield on the back which is a bit strange, so it means making the hearth bigger and further into the room to accommodate the distancing from the wall, 11.5”.
The salesman says he is trying to find out about a heat shield and he said there are metal plates that can be fixed to the wall
So I’m at the stage this weekend of looking at other stoves, Jotel technician is coming on Tuesday to talk and look, we like the reviews of the Greenville . I’ve been checking out PEt5 but they are more expensive but excellent from the reviews. And I have looked at the blaze king they seem to be good too and one of the Osburn dealer sells them but there are none in the small showroom, or regency ? I’m going to begin writing pros and cons of what we like,
I’m not too confident of building my own wall heat guard lol. But thanks for your help guys

@begreen, our heritage that we are replacing had a heat shield on the stove itself which I think was about 6” or so from the wall, but I like the Osburn stoves they have great reviews and are solid made but they don’t come with a heat shield on the back which is a bit strange, so it means making the hearth bigger and further into the room to accommodate the distancing from the wall, 11.5”.
The salesman says he is trying to find out about a heat shield and he said there are metal plates that can be fixed to the wall
So I’m at the stage this weekend of looking at other stoves, Jotel technician is coming on Tuesday to talk and look, we like the reviews of the Greenville . I’ve been checking out PEt5 but they are more expensive but excellent from the reviews. And I have looked at the blaze king they seem to be good too and one of the Osburn dealer sells them but there are none in the small showroom, or regency ? I’m going to begin writing pros and cons of what we like,
I’m not too confident of building my own wall heat guard lol. But thanks for your help guys
Oh slight mistake the 11.5” is the extra hearth depth not distance from the wall

Making a heat shield is not hard (if allowed by the manual/mfg): mount a metal plate an inch in front of the wall and have a few (2?) inch gap at the bottom and top of that plate so the air can convect the heat up and away.

And thanks begreen for the link , very interesting, . My wife has said , and very sensibly that the install should be professionally done coz if I do it and the house burns down we won’t be covered by insurance 😳🧐🙄😁
Making a heat shield is not hard (if allowed by the manual/mfg): mount a metal plate an inch in front of the wall and have a few (2?) inch gap at the bottom and top of that plate so the air can convect the heat up and away.

E43C96BB-880B-43A7-8EA2-23BCA4B819D3.jpeg

I agree it wouldn’t be too hard , I put the kitchen in but the electric outlet and the window make a metal screen more of a challenge, and if it has a blower I’m not sure of the outlet being usable ? Right now I’m thinking of choosing something else ? But thanks ( this is like choosing a car lol )

Will your chimney work well with both stoves? Chimneys are the engine for the stove. If it’s not right, it won’t matter what stove you pick. Same with wood. Newer stoves want much dryer wood than some of the older ones.
Misunderstanding ! We are choosing which one not getting both , tho we do have a basement fireplace that one day I would like to remodel

A wall shield installation can be done independently (and before) the wood stove installation. I agree with letting the pros install the flue system and stove if this is not a strong suit. Watch out for the nearby curtains.

Anyone got opinions on this stove ? It’s the right size, the price is pretty good and it looks solid and built to last
The dealer called and said he maybe can get one from their supplier and he’s doing his homework about a wall plate to reduce clearances because we don’t want to have to remodel the hearth my wife would rather pay the extra for a Jotel Greenville , the Jotel heats 1800 the 2000 heats 2100 sq
Thanks
I loved my 2500

Latest update for our new stove . The Osburn dealer has got back to me about a heat shield for the 2000 and we would still have to extend the hearth forwards by 8” for the 2000 . Rather disappointing and my wife isn’t too thrilled about that so the Jotel dealer technician came out yesterday and for a Greenville the hearth is ok but he recommended another one inch
For the hearth I’m making he (Jotel ) also recommended putting down flashing first then my cement board then the ceramic tiles and photographing each stage so the inspector can see what’s been done , apparently an inspector comes to view the finished project for the 26% credit

The Jotul F45 doesn't qualify, only the F500v3 qualifies for the tax credit.

I have not heard about an inspector for the tax credit. The IRS doesn't work that way.

The inspector is likely a code compliance inspector from the local jurisdiction.

Reactions: kborndale
Yeah to make sure the fire regulations are done right maybe he added on that bit or I misunderstood, anyways I’m looking to see if the Jotel Greenville qualifies for the credit or not ? Begreen says not the technician said yes ? Maybe I’ll just put the old hearthstone back where it was and beep beep the environment 😁

I double-checked the EPA database before posting. Currently, only the Jotul F500v3 is on the tax-credit qualified list from the EPA. If the tech thinks it is, then he should be able to show you the certificate for documentation. I doubt it. Jotul would be marketing the heck out of the F45 if it qualified, like they do for the F500v3. The F45 has no such claim.

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 1.31.45 PM.png