Osburn 2000 wood stove views ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’m just wondering if the f45 is going to be enough for a living room 30 x 18 x 10 , and kitchen at the back and hallway to the main bedroom ? The dealer said yes because it’s not like a soapstone heritage.
Wife says she likes the tiles so she wouldn’t mind if the hearth is deeper 😳
The F45 has a larger firebox and more efficient than the old Heritage so I think it will be enough. It will always be a little warmer in the stove room but a small fan on the floor in the hallway blowing the cooler air towards the stove room will help.

The F45 has a larger firebox and more efficient than the old Heritage so I think it will be enough. It will always be a little warmer in the stove room but a small fan on the floor in the hallway blowing the cooler air towards the stove room will help.
Thanks Todd I appreciate your helpful advice pal, the more I read about the F45 the more I like it, the old hearthstone I’m not sure what to do with it , we have a basement fireplace but we never use it because it’s not safe (1975) but we are wanting to get that fixed and maybe the old girl could be rehomed on a new hearth on a concrete floor with a new 25’ or so chimney for family visits thanksgiving and Xmas . That’s the next expense project, I’ve sort of got attached to our heritage stove apart from a broken latch and cracked glas it’s been great stove,

Reactions: Todd
Another question, we got a good estimate price for an Oslo f500v3. The technician that worked out the estimate said that the stainless steel flue on the roof was in good condition so needn’t be replaced. But it’s about 12’ maybe 13’ at most from the top of the stove to the top of the flue and I’m reading minimum height should be 15’, so I called him and he assured me it will be fine as it is, I’m sure he knows his job but I just wondered what you guys think ?

It may work, it may not. No way to tell. Depends on wind, home geometry, area (hills, trees etc). You'll note it with smoke roll out in the fall. If so, add more class A then.

If he is reliable, the I'd just give it a go as it is. You can always add a section (and possibly a bracket).

Reactions: Hearthstone 99
Another question, we got a good estimate price for an Oslo f500v3. The technician that worked out the estimate said that the stainless steel flue on the roof was in good condition so needn’t be replaced. But it’s about 12’ maybe 13’ at most from the top of the stove to the top of the flue and I’m reading minimum height should be 15’, so I called him and he assured me it will be fine as it is, I’m sure he knows his job but I just wondered what you guys think ?
Do some searches here on the new Oslo V3. It’s a great looking stove for sure but it hasn’t been out long and I would be a little concerned of the problems I’ve read here. They may have solved the issues by now I don’t know. Not saying you should or shouldn’t go with it just want you to be aware there were some issues.

Do some searches here on the new Oslo V3. It’s a great looking stove for sure but it hasn’t been out long and I would be a little concerned of the problems I’ve read here. They may have solved the issues by now I don’t know. Not saying you should or shouldn’t go with it just want you to be aware there were some issues.
I’m not sure of any serious concerns though I think it’s a stove that needs very dry wood

Enough red flags with the stove to steer me away from it. That plus the installer not wanting to follow the manual id be really quite hesitant. But if you like it and are committed to making it work it is a great looking stove! To be honest I’d would take a pacific energy T5 or T6 without any tax credit over the F500 if I did not have to install or redo venting.

Reactions: Hearthstone 99
Enough red flags with the stove to steer me away from it. That plus the installer not wanting to follow the manual id be really quite hesitant. But if you like it and are committed to making it work it is a great looking stove! To be honest I’d would take a pacific energy T5 or T6 without any tax credit over the F500 if I did not have to install or redo venting.
Me too. Given the life span of these stoves, people should get the one they want to look at for 20 years.

Some things, like shoes and winter coats, it pays to buy the one you really want. The lifetime cost isn’t much more.

@stoveliker I agree with you, the installers have high ratings and are well qualified and I don’t know much I’m on a learning curve here this is the first stove Ive bought so it’s a bit like buying a car or house or rifle,making a choice , and the dealer said the same thing that you did that there are other factors involved and the installers have been doing it a long time. Thanks for your input stoveliker ,I’m a baker and the production guides state temps time etc but I know my oven , it fluctuates so I have to go on my experience and to tell the trainees that it’s a guide not gospel just know your job
My wife loves the Oslo ,it’s a great looking stove it will look great on my new hearth yes I’ve read the reviews I’ve watched the YouTube videos, I called the dealer after reading some of these reviews and his response was that they haven’t had any issues with their stoves and that most of the bad reviews are from people that are burning wood that these modern stoves can’t handle, and they aren’t getting the cat upto the correct operating temperature, he advised buying a moisture meter

Reactions: EbS-P
Yes. Sometimes that is not a good idea to follow. But the potential problem here is fairly easy to mitigate by adding a 3 ft section on top (and a brace, most likely). If a resolving solution would not be possible like that, I would not advice to proceed. But if it is possible to do something like this, why spend money now when you might not need to.

Just know the symptoms of a too short stack. Lazy fire, smoke roll-out when opening the door, etc.

For giggles, I’ll point out that those symptoms can also mean wet wood.

his response was that they haven’t had any issues with their stoves and that most of the bad reviews are from people that are burning wood that these modern stoves can’t handle, and they aren’t getting the cat upto the correct operating temperature, he advised buying a moisture meter
That is not what we have heard from users and service people about the problems with this stove. Quite the opposite in fact. Most have been with the stove running hot. webby3650 posted that Jotul alleged that the issues were due to an out-of-spec catalyst that could warp. There were also some concerns about the ashpan door gasket not sealing well, which may have contributed to the high stove temps. Unfortunately, there have not been any updates for the past season on what servicepeople are finding in season 2 with these stoves. bholler any update?

@stoveliker I agree with you, the installers have high ratings and are well qualified and I don’t know much I’m on a learning curve here this is the first stove Ive bought so it’s a bit like buying a car or house or rifle,making a choice , and the dealer said the same thing that you did that there are other factors involved and the installers have been doing it a long time. Thanks for your input stoveliker ,I’m a baker and the production guides state temps time etc but I know my oven , it fluctuates so I have to go on my experience and to tell the trainees that it’s a guide not gospel just know your job
My wife loves the Oslo ,it’s a great looking stove it will look great on my new hearth yes I’ve read the reviews I’ve watched the YouTube videos, I called the dealer after reading some of these reviews and his response was that they haven’t had any issues with their stoves and that most of the bad reviews are from people that are burning wood that these modern stoves can’t handle, and they aren’t getting the cat upto the correct operating temperature, he advised buying a moisture meter

The dealer wants to sell you the stove, of course he is going to tell you what you want to hear.

I don’t know what Osburn did to get that tax credit? Their HHV and LHV efficiency is less than the F45 but somehow they invented a new “optimum efficiency“ above 75% to achieve the credit. If that flies then other manufactures should follow suit.

looks like your hearth should work for either stove at that size. It will be interesting to see the cost difference.
Cost difference between the Osburn 2000 and the F45 is so far $2000 + I’m waiting on another estimate for the f45 , and the Jotel are in stock the Osburn isn’t . We like the alderlea but their lead time is at present late September the Osburn is stressing Santa out