Oscillating (vibrating) cutting tools

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Later

Jan 30, 2009
I have been looking into these tools use for a variety of tasks involved in remodeling our 1860's home. It seems as though that they could come in handy. The fein is about $300, Bosch $180, Rigid Rockwell, and Dremel about $100 and Chicago electric about $40. I could probably afford any of them if there was a real difference in performance. I'd rather save a couple of bucks if I could, but need satisfactory performance.

Any thoughts?

I've had both the Dremel and Rockwell models. I find the Rockwell far superior and worth the extra cost. Its more powerful and seems to be better built. I'm sure the Fein is nice but its twice the cost of the others or more. The Rockwell also comes with an adapter to allow use of blades from another brand (I forget which one).

I used mine just yesterday to remove some rotted wood from our house. These things are great!

Edit: while looking for replacement blades I found that others have had trouble keeping the blade mounted tightly on the Rockwell. I've experienced that also. You may want to make sure that's not a problem endemic to that model.

I have the el cheapo Chicago from Harbor Freight. They do come in handy at times, especially in those times when you think to yourself, "There has got to be an easier way."

If I did not already have the Fein, I would buy the Rockwell. Since the accessories are expensive, your best buy is the multi piece kit that goes for about $179. I believe Ace hardware also carries the different accessories. I have used the Multiblades on my Fein. They are cheaper & hold up better. They also make them for the Rockwell
Al

http://multiblades.com/sonicrafterblades.html

I have the Fein and use it for special purpose sanding, flush cutting and plunge cutting. It is very helpful making plunge cuts in wallboard when you do not know what is behind the wall. It fits into the category of "One of the tools you seldom use but when needed, is invaluable". Highly recommended. John_M

got an old medical castcutter which came in handy when i broke my hand & wanted to take a shower. mAde the cast removable but doc got pissed blah/blah lecture. hand came out fine but dont ax me how i know it worx as well.

I ended up getting the Bosch, came in a kit with a Li Drill driver for "free". It seems to do what I need and the drill/driver is quite a bit better than the old 9V drill I was using.

I bought the fein last yr and love it. I use it all the time. I have been in the contracting biz for over 25 yrs and wonder why I did not buy one before now. I usually tend to buy very good quality tools ( and sometime harbor freight stuff). I have some quality tools like hilti, skil, rockwell and metabo in my truck and some of the guys laugh at me because some of those tools are older than the guys that work with me. Thats no laughing matter, buy good once and be very statisfied. I really like the fein but the blades and acc. are not cheap.
Mike

we have an asbestos abatement company and use the dremmels
for removing different coverings, our guys are not gentle
and everything we do is wet with water
they have held up very well
I would say normal use they would be a reliable tool

I work for a boat building company and we use the Fein tool and it is awesome, I am a mechanic and have to cut bolts sometimes or even ss tubes and it just does the job.
However when cutting ss it will dull pretty quickly but most boat owners don't care and want to have it fixed asap no matter the cost.

Semipro said:
I've had both the Dremel and Rockwell models. I find the Rockwell far superior and worth the extra cost. Its more powerful and seems to be better built. I'm sure the Fein is nice but its twice the cost of the others or more. The Rockwell also comes with an adapter to allow use of blades from another brand (I forget which one).

I used mine just yesterday to remove some rotted wood from our house. These things are great!

Edit: while looking for replacement blades I found that others have had trouble keeping the blade mounted tightly on the Rockwell. I've experienced that also. You may want to make sure that's not a problem endemic to that model.

Well, I've been using mine a lot lately and have to say if I'd would have know how useful this thing was I would have bought the Fein a long time ago when it had the market to itself.

As a follow up to my comment about the blade coming loose on my Rockwell, I've had no further problems with that so I'll attribute the one time to operator error. Like someone else said, don't expect the blades to last long if you're cutting hard metal. I think this type of tool is a must-have for anyone doing restoration work.

Status
Not open for further replies.