Oslo Damper Jammed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gypsy Lady

Oct 27, 2022
Oregon
Hello. I need help with jammed F500 Jotul Oslo slider Damper. Never has worked well since installed in 2006. Recently applied high heat silicon. It only helped when cold.

There was a batch of Jotuls (F400, F500, & F600) in this time period that were shipped with an incorrectly bent control arm. It was quite a while ago, so your Jotul dealer may not remember this fix.

Take out the bolts on the dog house air inlet on front. The slider plate can then be seen and you can tell what’s jamming it up. I think the control plate can come out too but I could be wrong.

In some rarer cases, a casting flaw of the slider or the slider base has been noted, but that is much less common. If a bit of slag or other defect is found, then removing it can restore good operation.

If the control arm is bent wrong, then the slider plate is not the issue. I am trying to dig up the old thread that showed a side by side comparison of the original next to the replacement part.

What is the remedy if I bought this stove with a faulty bent arm. Silicon did not fix it, that is for sure. I have had the dog house opened up and and vacuumed all particles out. I too think it is the control arm. Where do I get that?

Wait a bit. If I can retrieve the original thread, then you will have a picture to compare with your stove to see if this is the issue. If it is, the remedy is to order a new air valve control arm for the stove.

Wait a bit. If I can retrieve the original thread, then you will have a picture to compare with your stove to see if this is the issue. If it is, the remedy is to order a new air valve control arm for the stove.
This it?

Not sure, it's been years. That thread shows the replacement control handle difference which is important. Thanks!

FWIW, the problem was not with all stoves of this vintage. Our 2006 F400 responded nicely to a bit of graphite powder on the sliding surfaces, but others stuck badly.

Reactions: Gypsy Lady
This same stove has an issue with latching the ash pan door to pull it in tight.
Ahh yes another jotul “feature” I stuck a really bright flashlight in my ash pan and closed the door turned out the lights and could see where it was not sealing well. I have some 3/4” wide flat fiberglass stove gasket that I used in the corner that was leaking. Pics here. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/jotul-ash-pan-gasket-the-one-not-on-the-door-question.185873/

It’s an issue that other have had. Some stop using the ash pan and door. Let it fill up with ash and it seals it self off and then shovel ash out.

This same stove has an issue with latching the ash pan door to pull it in tight.
Sometimes this is because ash is firmly packed in the ash pan holder behind the ash pan. When this happens it pushes out the ash pan just enough to make the door hard to close. Remove the ashpan and take a poker or long screwdriver to see if there is any ash buildup at the back. Don't be surprised if it is quite solid and hard packed.

Reactions: EbS-P
This Oslo has no problem with ash blocking the fitting of the pan, affecting door closure. This stove had an incorrectly assembled door latch. The spring needed to be on the outside of the door when placing the lever in and bolting down on the inside. Easy fix.

Reactions: EbS-P
This Oslo has no problem with ash blocking the fitting of the pan, affecting door closure. This stove had an incorrectly assemble door latch. The spring needed to be on the outside of the door when placing the lever in and bolting down on the inside. Easy fix.
Good glad it was an easy fix

This Oslo has no problem with ash blocking the fitting of the pan, affecting door closure. This stove had an incorrectly assembled door latch. The spring needed to be on the outside of the door when placing the lever in and bolting down on the inside. Easy fix.
I'm glad the fix was easy and ready for the heating season.