Oslo dollar bill test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
On my Jotul Oslo, I replace the side door gasket ever 4-5 years. It's the door I use, as the front door has it's issue's. I can tell when it's time for a new gasket, as the latch closes with very little spring compression left. I did the ash door, 10 years ago, with one size larger as spec'd. The front door has never been replaced , in 22 years.

I decided the do the dollar bill test on all my doors. Here's how to do it. On each door, on each side, middle, and as many other places, put a crisp dollar bill halfway in. Close the door on it. Close the latch normally. Pull the bill out slowly. It should be somewhat hard to pull out.

My front door failed big time, in the middle of the bottom. The bill moved with very little resistance. Other sides were OK. There is not much spring left in the latch, so it's not a surprise. I have never checked it. Time for a new rope gasket.

Reactions: begreen and Split
Have the glass and top lid gaskets ever been replaced?

Have the glass and top lid gaskets ever been replaced?
No, haven't replaced them. I have never removed the top. I clean top down, and pull out the burn plates out. As for the glass gasket it looks good, white as the day the stove was new. Anyone have a way to tell if it's leakey?

Good news, I took a look at what the front door gasket size is, 3/8 X 6'. That's the same as the side door 3/8. I had 3 new ones 3/8 X 7'. We now have a warm few days, hope to do it today. Dread getting out the hard gasket cement they used back then.

Over the years I would find the ash door gasket would not last long, before it had no compression. I heard the hinge side opens up a bit. So I went up in the gasket diameter one size. It was the solution.

No, haven't replaced them. I have never removed the top. I clean top down, and pull out the burn plates out. As for the glass gasket it looks good, white as the day the stove was new. Anyone have a way to tell if it's leakey?
Eventually they will break down, but if there is no sooting on the glass then that is a good sign that the gasket is still doing its job. Our stove's glass gasket is 14 yrs old and I am contemplating replacing it for the same reason.