Oslo ordered. Did I screw up??? Maybe a Rangely?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. Im following the manual just in case. I would hate to think what Sue and I would do if we had a loss and it wasn't covered because we didn't. How about the Rangely? Im ready to pull the trigger
That is the right call.

The disparity between factory safety requirements and actual owner experience is a recurring issue.

The purpose of Jotul stating a 36 inch requirement is to discharge their liability. I'm sure that number is generous so that there is no chance of it ever coming back to bite them legally. If any Jotul owner wants to assume personal responsibility for the consequences of any distance less than 36 inches, they do so of their own free will, as it's their own call.

I have a 6 foot ladder with a factory label on it warning me not to stand on it any higher than 3 feet 11 inches. I stand higher at my own risk just as I have for 40 years.

Today I saw a label on the door of my bank warning me that the State of California has determined that there is one chemical inside of the bank known to cause cancer. Next time I'm there I'm going to ask which chemical it is. ;)

Warnings are all about covering your own a** in a litigeous society where grabbing the brass ring in a liability lawsuit judgement has become the new American dream. This explains the proliferation of attorney advertising to meet the demand.

Understanding this fact allows each stove owner to make their own judgement based on their own actual experience and to personally assume their own consequences.

Greg
I am curious how you propose someone finds out how close is to close through personal experience? Those clearances are determined through extensive testing. Yes of course they add a bit of a cusion but personally i like having a safety cusion when it comes to a fire in my house especially when me and my family are sleeping upstairs.

When a solid fuel heater is tested, it is tested inside a safety booth. There are about $3,000 in thermocouple wires, about 2,500 feet in total length, placed inside the walls, floors and ceiling.

Typically, pneumatic systems are then used to move walls in and out and ceiling up and down. With the fire raging inside the stove, and something called brands (really dry 1" x 1"'s) are added to the fire every 8 minutes. The stove is then, in some tests, made to leave the door open, to reflect what might happen if an inattentive user did so, all the while, temperature readings are recording hundreds of contact points of those thermocouples.

When we provide an actual distance to combustible, it is because any closer it's a threat to your home and occupants. There is no "grace" distance added or substracted. It is not in the standard!

If your home catches fire and during the fire inspection it is determined to have been installed incorrectly, your claim will be denied. I just hope your family and pets got out.

Try to be logical. If you need 36 inches for a side door, then you need 36 inches for a front door.
I have never seen a stove that required 36 inches in front.
As squirrely said so eloquently, this is just some Norwegian engineer, or, more likely, some CPA bean counter nerd, playing CYA.

And yes, I think it says something when a person has many decades of wood stove experience without a single close call to having a fire.

Reactions: Squirrely
Try to be logical. If you need 36 inches for a side door, then you need 36 inches for a front door.
I have never seen a stove that required 36 inches in front.
As squirrely said so eloquently, this is just some Norwegian engineer, or, more likely, some CPA bean counter nerd, playing CYA.

And yes, I think it says something when a person has many decades of wood stove experience without a single close call to having a fire.
I believe that 36" in front of a stove for the nearest combustible has been code for a long time. This refers to a wall/furniture etc., not the floor.

And note that the side door clearance requirement is not specific to one mfg or country. Same here for US made stoves.

Last edited:
And just to be clear... I don't think it's fine for stove manufacturers to cover their own a****, just like it's fine for holler to cover his own.

This is all about discharging liability so as not to be to blame.

Greg

Silly argument. Adults cause most fires. Many many adults make errors of judgement around fire. We see cases of this too frequently here. Often the assumption is that because nothing has happened so far, it must be ok. Sometimes that is right. Other times this leads to a tragic loss of life and then there is no second chance or experience. They are dead. Firefighters and insurance companies get fed up with dealing with these tragedies and have set standards to prevent them. These have been codified into International Fire Codes.

When a solid fuel heater is tested, it is tested inside a safety booth. There are about $3,000 in thermocouple wires, about 2,500 feet in total length, placed inside the walls, floors and ceiling.

Typically, pneumatic systems are then used to move walls in and out and ceiling up and down. With the fire raging inside the stove, and something called brands (really dry 1" x 1"'s) are added to the fire every 8 minutes. The stove is then, in some tests, made to leave the door open, to reflect what might happen if an inattentive user did so, all the while, temperature readings are recording hundreds of contact points of those thermocouples.

When we provide an actual distance to combustible, it is because any closer it's a threat to your home and occupants. There is no "grace" distance added or substracted. It is not in the standard!

If your home catches fire and during the fire inspection it is determined to have been installed incorrectly, your claim will be denied. I just hope your family and pets got out.
Great post. Very informative. You've done all you can, we are experiencing the intersection of Darwin's law and good old fashioned stubbornness. Seems like there's a lot of this going on today- folks acting against their own self-interest in the name of "I'm right, you're wrong." Eventually many of these folks will discover the hard way that there is no upside to this. Some will survive to pass on the tradition. It's been like this from the beginning. I'm not religious, but I know from the Story that when the voice I'm hearing in my head says not to eat the apple, I just don't eat it! Some just can't resist. It's human nature.

Reactions: bholler
So?

Adults assume personal responsibility for the consequences of their own actions.

Greg
Oh sure tell that too all those trying to avoid getting charged for DUI, texting while driving etc.. CYA applies both ways.

Reactions: bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.