Oslo smoke leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vtdoc

Jan 18, 2009
Vermont
This is my first season with our Jotul Oslo. When I'm getting a fire started, I like to open the ash pan door. When I do this, smoke leaks out from the upper end of the seam between the front and left panels of the stove. I didn't see this at the beginning of the winter, but I can't be absolutely sure that I just wasn't noticing it (the light has to be fairly good to see it and I'm usually lighting up in the relatively dark morning.) This doesn't occur when the stove is closed or when I have the front door open (instead of the ash door) a crack for extra air.

There's a bolt inside the stove that joins these 2 panels together, and I am able to get it to tighten. Could a loose connection be causing the problem, or is it more likely to be something else (eg, is there cement or a gasket at the joints)? If it could be the bolt, how much can I tighten it without damaging the bolt or the panel?

The biggest chance....is that nothing at all is wrong.

Follow me for a moment. Stoves are not at all airtight - just look a wood burning cookstoves and many others with lots of plates just sitting on the top of them.

Smoke can come right out through gaskets or furnace cement seams - even through welds that are not specifically designed to be air or water tight!

So, what is likely happening is that you are allowing too much air into the stove BEFORE the chimney has warmed up enough to pull IN through all those little cracks. The solution should be pretty easy. Either use the front door, or only open the ash door a very small amount. Also, make sure the chimney is already updrafting pretty well before opening the ash door.

it's all really a matter of warming up the chimney so the draft is strong enough to suck in all the little cracks and gaskets.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Webmaster. That makes a lot of sense. (And I like solutions that don't require me to do any extra work!)

also, just a thought, make sure any dampers are all the way open until the chimney gets good and warm. with a cold chimney you want as much air coming in as possible. when you feel that the chimney is ready, close down your dampers as needed.

Just in case you don't look at the rest of the Oslo threads (by searcing the site) it's mostly agreed that using the ash door as an air source is a bad idea. There's a good chance it will warp your ash grate. And according to the manual will affect your warranty.
I'd reccomend reading past posts- they have been really informative as I've learned to use my Oslo.
The side door is really effective at getting the fire going. Also this stove demands well seasoned wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.