Ot I have had better days

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

I came across a PIII 3 1000 NEC Lap top computer broken key board which I replaced with an external USB. One
college kid prior owner had the hardrive so messed up, I formated it and started over again. Well it worked perfect.
that is till this morning. I have a two day seminar I am presenting at Bridgewater State college in 15 days. Morning HVAC,
Afternoon session Solid fuel burning 2 days. I have been working on a power point presentation, you know a little bit at a time
things going well I used the laptop about 1/2 hour at a time transfereing info, Never used it longer. Well there was another problem I had not encountered and had not considered heat. I guess when it heated up after 1/2 hour use the processor memory acted eradic
It took down the computer in the process I had powerpoint open gone everything gone. Spitting nails I am so pissed Now It will not stay opperating any longer than 5 minuter even switched porocessors memory only to cook the decent replacements. I had it plugged in last night windy wondering if we had a power surge?? That's a lot of work gone I am angry pissed words un printable for this forum cold as hell thawing out after work Might take more than one Sam Adams tonight Maybe some Crown Royal I don't know

Elk, do you have a desktop computer? If you do, I can send you a notebook hard drive to USB converter. You take out the hard drive, hook it up to the desktop computer as a USB harddrive, and recover your powerpoint that way.

If that won't do it, try using the laptop outside. Sounds stupid, I know, but its is cold out. It'll work for longer. Run an extension cord. At least you can hopefully recover the data. Open powerpoint, it might have auto-saved, and will autorecover your presentation.

If the laptop is FRIED, send me the harddrive. I am studying computer forensics and can try to extract your powerpoint presentation.

Just a few possibilities.

Joshua

elkimmeg said:
cold as hell thawing out after work Might take more than one Sam Adams tonight Maybe some Crown Royal I don't know

McLelland's Islay Single Malt
$20.00 a bottle!
That'll lower the blood pressure

joshuaviktor said:
Elk, do you have a desktop computer? If you do, I can send you a notebook hard drive to USB converter. You take out the hard drive, hook it up to the desktop computer as a USB harddrive, and recover your powerpoint that way.

If that won't do it, try using the laptop outside. Sounds stupid, I know, but its is cold out. It'll work for longer. Run an extension cord. At least you can hopefully recover the data. Open powerpoint, it might have auto-saved, and will autorecover your presentation.

If the laptop is FRIED, send me the harddrive. I am studying computer forensics and can try to extract your powerpoint presentation.

Just a few possibilities.

Joshua
At one time I had a harddrive duplication machine cost about 6 grand not only it duplicate drives but it recovered lost data kind of equipment law enforcement used to find erased data, did not need it any more ebayed it. I did have a windows destop here P3 1000 worked perfect used the processor in the laptop and it. Fried it. The two other computers are Macs.
In reality most of my personal toys are things others have deamed broken which I fix. lawn tractor 1960 Jacobsen never bought a new lawn mower or chainsaw in my life, all repaired castoffs. 28 years here and never one burner repair man or any other repairs persons Same thing with cars all reppairs I do except tires and alignments. the new $11,500 well and bailing out my kids car w becaused I co- signed the note with him cost me another 8 g's, Daughter bailout 6 g's all within the past 10 months has eroded finaces a bit short. Too pissed to do anything tonight. I will probably do nothing and start over putting it all on my i mac if a projection camera will work off it. I'm so pissed I might put that laptop in my log splitter or 8 lb maul to it. Got to look on ebay maybe with parts I can put something together

I've lost my drives several times in the last two years... subsequently I've purchased encryption software and now back up everything to USB thumb drive and external USB drives (at least two places for the really important stuff). It's worth the time. Drives aren't as well constructed as they used to be.

Not all went bad: A builder who knows I burn wood offered my a pile about a cord already cut to 16" lengths.
All I have to do is load in in my truck oak and ash. All inspections also passed. Even as cold as it was I was able to finish up a roof over a bay window PITA but weather tight. Sunny side after 12:00 helped, but still thawing out. Tough way to make a living the last few days. I mean this morning my skill saw made this funny whining sound, like it's too damn cold to be working. I value my fingers so s doing shots and working power tools not a good combination. When it is 3 out I do not start my desiel equipment unless it worked the day before and I have no choice

elkimmeg said:
Not all went bad: A builder who knows I burn wood offered my a pile about a cord already cut to 16" lengths.
All I have to do is load in in my truck oak and ash. All inspections also passed. Even as cold as it was I was able to finish up a roof over a bay window PITA but weather tight. Sunny side after 12:00 helped, but still thawing out. Tough way to make a living the last few days. I mean this morning my skill saw made this funny whining sound, like it's too damn cold to be working. I value my fingers so s doing shots and working power tools not a good combination. When it is 3 out I do not start my desiel equipment unless it worked the day before and I have no choice

Careful accepting free wood from a builder Elk. That could come back and bit you in your inspector/government contractor butt.

My brand new lap top crashed 2 days ago. I wanted smash it With an ax.

Good point Brother Bart. One has to judge every situation and the people do in which they interact with.
This builder is top shelf. My inspections are not so much the frame, but HVAC Because I am employed part time, and inspecting is not my primary income, I am allowed to work in my town. If I were on salary and worked more than 20 hrs a week circumstances would be different. I inspect mainly Mechanical issues which poses less chances of conflicts of interest. being a carpenter.
The wood in question would soon be burried. Note I have not loaded it in my truck yet, but your statement gives me pause because you are right. I have to weigh this in my mind a little more

I'd take the wood, it's free and if there is nothing more to it than a contractor being nice then I wouldn't be concerned. If it's genuinely not a shady deal it would come out in the wash if ever scrutinized.

The new MacIntel Powerbooks are causing their users lots of networking woes. Seems they don't support IPv6 well and wireless forgot to support eap protocols. Saw an email from an admin today explaining the issue. He wrapped it up by saying. So you have your new skinny shiney ProBook is all dressed up and nowhere to go? Tears coming to your eyes? Go ahead and cry, let it out. It's not good to bottle up all that pain.

the free wood delimar is resolved. I went back to the subdivision today all gone.The only traces left behind
were knuclke elm pieces even god could not split. Still an honest inspector. can't be bought by free wood

Status
Not open for further replies.