Other handy uses for a hydraulic wood splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can crusher sounds interesting. Make a steel box with a slip on masher. Could be very cool. Garbage compactor for rural areas could be really cool.

I got hard up and had to push out UV joints on a drive line. The factory didn't want them to be replaceable but after pushing them out, I had to spot weld them in, didn't have the snap ring grove in the drive line.

Manual tools are fine for pecans and walnuts, but a log splitter is especially useful for macadamia and Brazil nuts.

I made a die and then tried to press sawdust into pellets or chunks for burning, not enough compression force to get the sawdust to bind. Might work if a binder was added.

Thanks, I asked in a different thread if anyone had tried this, but nobody had.

How many tons is your splitter?

Old splitter and don't know. But has never failed to split any round I've thrown at it.

Creating pellets from biomass requires pressure and heat that a typical log splitter isn't going to create.

Thanks, I asked in a different thread if anyone had tried this, but nobody had.

How many tons is your splitter?
The critical thing is pressure. Log splitters apply a specific force, pressure is a measure of force per area (pounds per square inch, aka PSI). If you're trying to make 10" squares with a 35 ton log splitter you're only applying 700 psi to the sawdust. But if you're trying to make a single round pellet that have a cross-sectional area of .1 square inch you're applying 700,000 psi to the sawdust.

I'm sure pellets can be made on a log-splitter, the heat will develop from friction and compression, the force is limited by the logsplitter so you have to adjust the size of the pellet/block to get the right PRESSURE on the sawdust.

Why do I have this picture in my head of some dude wearing thick glasses counting..."One pellet, two pellets, three...:;lol

Why do I have this picture in my head of some dude wearing thick glasses counting..."One pellet, two pellets, three...:;lol

My new single-pellet mold will not be a big hit amongst people with 30 second cycle times.

"Earl, hurry UP! It's COLD in here! "
"Coming, halfway done with the next pellet already..."

Reactions: Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.