Ouch, Oil prices. No wonder I burn pellets!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redhot1

Mar 4, 2011
Southern Maryland
Because my house is two stories and hard to heat the whole house using pellets alone, I also have oil heat. The stove has drastically cut the oil consumption down from what it used to be and heats about 75% of the house. Recently I looked to see when we had our last oil delivery and found it was in April of 2011. I checked the tank, it showed it was still half full of heating oil. Wanting to keep moisture from forming inside of the buried oil tank I decided to have it filled last week.

Oil around here is $4.4490 per gallon! They put 149.3 gallons of oil into the tank at a cost of $664.24. Even though the winter around here has been warmer than normal, the cost of oil is extreme! So if you get frustrated by buying pellets and getting them to your stove. Or always cleaning your stove to maintain correct burn. Just remember what the cost of oil is. I believe you'll fall in love with your pellet stove all over again ;-)

Wow and I was thinkin my oil guy was high @ $3.80.
Long live the pellet stove!

Get a second stove. One didn't do it for me either, so I had to use some oil. I got a second stove and I haven't seen the oil man for a year.

Tom C.

$3.39 in my area, new outfit in town, looking to move in.

I called up a few places the other week and ended up getting 200 gals @ 3.399/gal. I was surprised that the initial price they gave me($3.859), which gave you 10 days to pay, was so much higher than the Pay On Delivery price.

redhot1 said:
Because my house is two stories and hard to heat the whole house using pellets alone, I also have oil heat. The stove has drastically cut the oil consumption down from what it used to be and heats about 75% of the house. Recently I looked to see when we had our last oil delivery and found it was in April of 2011. I checked the tank, it showed it was still half full of heating oil. Wanting to keep moisture from forming inside of the buried oil tank I decided to have it filled last week.

Oil around here is $4.4490 per gallon! They put 149.3 gallons of oil into the tank at a cost of $664.24. Even though the winter around here has been warmer than normal, the cost of oil is extreme! So if you get frustrated by buying pellets and getting them to your stove. Or always cleaning your stove to maintain correct burn. Just remember what the cost of oil is. I believe you'll fall in love with your pellet stove all over again ;-)

I'm getting a nice big fat tax refund, I'm thinking it will go into converting the house into gas heat. That's one of the positives of living in a suburban area I guess.

silverfox103 said:
Get a second stove. One didn't do it for me either, so I had to use some oil. I got a second stove and I haven't seen the oil man for a year.

Tom C.

I'm debating the second stove vs. gas conversion idea myself...

The practical side of me wants the gas conversion but I really do like the pellet stove I have now... so I'm torn.

None of the house heat is done via oil right now... the only question with gas is hot water heat.

Oil around here has been selling for $1.14 a Litre, based on that and what I used the last year I burnt just oil...I would be around the $4500 mark to heat my house this year. The Canadian dollar is on par with the US right now...and there are 3.79L to the american gallon, so we are about $4.32 to the American gallon. Based on that I have already broken even with my new stove and saw!

KodiakII said:
Oil around here has been selling for $1.14 a Litre, based on that and what I used the last year I burnt just oil...I would be around the $4500 mark to heat my house this year. The Canadian dollar is on par with the US right now...and there are 3.79L to the american gallon, so we are about $4.32 to the American gallon. Based on that I have already broken even with my new stove and saw!

You're oil free now, Kodiak?

Tom C.

silverfox103 said:
KodiakII said:

Your oil free now, Kodiak?

Tom C.

Haven't burnt a drop in over 2 years now!

KodiakII said:

:gulp: 4.32??

Yikes...

National Grid jacks their price per therm by nearly double from November to April, if I were to heat with gas again it would be roughly $500 a month in gas, it's not as peachy as folks think, I can heat the whole season with pellets for the price of 2 months of gas.

I added 120 gallons to the farm oil bill to get the rate down to 3.40/gal here. Hauling it from the farm to my house sucks, but at $0.40 less a gallon, I'll do what I have to. I can either choose oil, wood or electric... Gas rights were terminated when I bought the house.

Now, I don't burn pellets, but I was at Tractor Supply in Erie PA yesterday, and they have pelllets at $199/ton right now.

We have been thinking of a small pellet stove for the shoulder season....

I've been installing a pellet boiler (Harman pb-105). finally did a test run last week. Switched the oil off on Thursday. Pellet boiler ran great. Wasn't real cold but we cranked the heat up to 70 and really enjoyed it. Went to the plumbing supply Saturday morning to get some pipe insulation and said to myself I would have to call the oil company on Monday to make sure they don't come out to do an end of winter top off on the oil tank. Don't ya know just as I was about to turn in the driveway I see the oil delivery truck heading up from the barn. Delivered 200 gallons. So, I have a full 550 gallon tank. Gonna see if I can get them to pump it out so I can pull the tank out of the ground. The oil boiler will stay but all I need is a small reserve tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.