Outdoor Firepit hardware / Portable/radiant etc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Krackle

Nov 24, 2014
SW Michigan
Hi folks..

I'm in the process of building a fire pit. Just an enclosure, slightly below ground..one step down..approx 10x10

I'm considering the hardware for it right now..In this case, I'd like to use a portable Fire 'bowl' ..but I'd like something robust that can radiate some heat and without losing the ambience of seeing the flame etc..good heavy gauge spark suppressor, for sure...as well a decent gauge overall build.

I'd like it to be simple in design, industrial looking is fine..good weight and thickness..Easily cleanable and not something that ends up making a huge mess..

Having trouble shopping online..lots of really flimsy stuff out there and very hard to get an idea of build quality/burn quality etc..

Anyone have something they love? All leads and tips, advice etc.welcomed. thanks!

There are fewer people on the board at this time. This is the first I've seen your thread.

Have you thought of one of the old stoves off Craigslist? It's robust, fairly safe, radiates heat, is clean...

If you find a solution that solves all the problems with outdoor fire pits, you'll be a rich man. Open pits are great for fire view, but heat doesn't radiate to the users, and smoke swirls in their eyes.
Metal stoves are great at radiating heat, but they rust outdoors, and only show the fire view to the people immediately in front of it. Also not great for cooking smores.

I love my washing machine drum. Lots of airflow. Radiates plenty of heat. Doesn't really rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're building a campfire.
Not too much technology involved in that.

One of the best "fire rings" I've ever used are old truck tire rims. It's a large metal ring with flared edges. Set the ring up an inch or two off the ground on rocks or bricks and you have a fantastic fire because of the air being sucked under the ring feeding the coals with oxygen.

Do place it in your yard carefully paying attention to prevailing winds and your home. You want the wind to blow the smoke away from your house. (To your neighbors)
Mine is situated properly but we get those odd weather patterns, the wind changes and the smoke drifts towards the house and enters open windows, or worse....... sucked in because the whole house fan is running!

Make sure that your family members are fine with smelling like a campfire at the evenings end too.
If not, consider a gas setup.

Dave

thanks folks..

I've considered a ground level ring..but I want to minimize the dirty aspect..

This is for a house on lake michigan, it's a rental property that sees different groups every week..the owners have been deluged with requests for a fire pit at the house level for older folks at night..it's an over 125 foot vertical drop to the beach.

The winds in this area is usually predictable..lake Michigan is huge lake (duh) so you generally get onshore wind during the day and offshore breeze at night..this is consistent as long as there are no major weather systems in the area influencing things.

I'd prefer to have it elevated, movable for clean up etc..and folks seem to like that..

not concerned about the smoke stinking folks up..fires being made at night on the beach, of course.

Of course the radiant heat aspect is very secondary..anyhow..fires..front is warm, back is cold..the rental season is late spring to early fall..the owners might want a bit of heat later in the season but definitely secondary..

Just looking for something robust..was checking stuff out at a bunch of stores the other day (mostly big box stores) and everything is
soooo flimsy and overly decorated..they are looking something simple ...unembellished stuff

thanks for the responses and feel free to correct any of my thoughts..I need all the correction i can get.

Maybe just have a simple ring welded up that meets your needs?

I like the free standing coleman fire pit. It had (now broken) a propane starter. The unit is off the ground 18", about 30" diameter. The nice thing is the about 24" round screen. And a top we don't use. We fill this thing and have huge bon fires. The wheels have melted off it.