Outdoor fireplace ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burleymike

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Sep 17, 2010
SE Idaho
I am thinking about pouring a patio this spring and don't really want to have my redneck (cinder block) fire pit in the middle of it. A friend has offered me 200+ 8x8x24" cinder blocks for $.60 each. My neighbor has an old chimblock chimney on his barn he wants to tear down as well. I am thinking about building a fireplace with that block and using the chimblock and the clay liner in it for the chimney.

I was thinking about cutting an old oil tank on half and using the half as the top to the firebox. Then making the back and sides out of firebrick. I could have the flue go up through the chimblock. I realize I will need to make the front small since the 7" liner will restrict the draft pretty good.

Any advice good bad or ugly welcome.

Attachments

• fireplace idea.jpg
    fireplace idea.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 404
Cool idea.
Should work.
Cover patio I'm guessing, with a fireplace.

If I was going to build one from scratch, I would try to design it so it could double up as an outdoor pizza oven, possibly a smoker too.

Just a thought from someone who likes smoked meats and Italian food..........

The dimensions are specific for good draft.
Rule of thumb is:
-height of opening at least 6" less than width of opening
-rear width of firebox should be 1' less than front width
-back height of firebox should be no more than 1/2 the opening height height of of the fireplace
-height of smoke chamber is equal to height of fireplace opening

I see you won't have a traditional smoke chamber or smoke shelf, so just stick to the other dimension fundamentals- fireplace dimensions and design can be tricky and you won't want to go through all the work to end up with poor draft.

Also, a roof over the structure will make a big difference in preserving the masonry.

My only $.02 is that you might want to examine the expansion/contraction differential between your steel and your masonry. Not knowing how you're planning to marry the two materials, if at all, leaves me just speculating....but, if you do not allow for that you might find the heating and cooling will work your fireplace apart in a season or two. Just something to think about.

I have thought about expansion and contraction. The steel will be self supporting with a block shell around it, almost a floating firebox. On the top I plan to put a 3/16" plate then pour 4" of reinforced concrete that will also flow down into the block voids creating one solid masonry unit. The chimblock will be on top of the concrete pad which should be able to handle the weight. The steel will be more or less for helping the smoke get into the chimney. I am considering filling the void around the top of the firebox and the concrete pad with vermiculite to insulate keeping the temps lower around the concrete and block.

Check with your local fire dept also on this. I just checked for my home state of NH and you need a permit for these. You can get a "season" permit and don't have to do it for each burn if you get the season permit for the unit. Open fires need a permit per each burn. I have heard some states require permits for each fire which would be an obvious pain. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.