Outlet for fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
After searching through the old forums, looks like people have put inserts in this exact ZC. Will do some more research to make sure.
;lol

Out of curiosity, what is it then that you suggest?
Either a freestanding stove elsewhere or tear out that unit and replace it with a high efficiency unit. You can also tear it out and build an alcove for a stove.

Yes I am sure they have but in doing so they violated code and opened themselves up to massive liability. Read the manual for your fireplace that I provided. No additional research needed.
Also that manual was written over 30 years ago, couldn’t there be manufacturers that are now approved for this model.

Also that manual was written over 30 years ago, couldn’t there be manufacturers that are now approved for this model.
Only if majestic has restested the unit and issued a revised manual. Do you have a revised manual?

Only if majestic has restested the unit and issued a revised manual. Do you have a revised manual?
I think you know I don’t have any manual considering I struggled to even find the name plate. Was just asking a question that seemed logical. Thanks for your help.

I think you know I don’t have any manual considering I struggled to even find the name plate. Was just asking a question that seemed logical. Thanks for your help.
I am sorry that I had bad news for you and that your stove shop mislead you. I am just telling you what is actually allowed

Was just asking a question that seemed logical.
I can understand that, but it's doubtful that you have the clearances to combustibles required by the insert, regardless of any of the other factors in play..

I found a pic oz a ZC for sale that previously had an insert in it take a look at the wood base! My brother recently put a Buck 18 in a Heatilator,. I called Heatilator with model and serial number after a few minutes on hold they said it was ok as long as it fits and the only thing removed is damper. I would not have done this personally. I would much rather remove the builders grade ZC and put in a high efficiency ZC. My brother will not admit it but he doesn't sound that happy with buck short burn times low heat output its just enough to warm the living room and keep the thermostat satisfied causing the rest of the house to be cold.

zc.jpg zc1.jpg

Reactions: Sbrown28
That is not a comforting sight. Unfortunately, we don't know the history of the ZC. The homeowner could have been pushing it hard, burning 24/7 in it before the insert was put in. Many ZCs are not designed for that type of operation. This could have been when the base was scorched. If so, the heat from the insert bottom was probably much less than without it. Moot point though, if pyrolysis had already started.

How about a unit that has a rear vent that can run a pipe out the back up through the cut out where the damper is/was. Like a hearth mounted unit right in front of the ZC opening?

That is not a comforting sight. Unfortunately, we don't know the history of the ZC. The homeowner could have been pushing it hard, burning 24/7 in it before the insert was put in. Many ZCs are not designed for that type of operation. This could have been when the base was scorched. If so, the heat from the insert bottom was probably much less than without it. Moot point though, if pyrolysis had already started.
I would contact the manufacturer of the ZC and see what the say. Bholler may have some insight on this.

My brother recently put a Buck 18 in a Heatilator,. I called Heatilator with model and serial number after a few minutes on hold they said it was ok as long as it fits...he doesn't sound that happy with buck short burn times low heat output its just enough to warm the living room
I'm not surprised, they claim only 1.3 cu.ft. fire box..that ain't much wood! :oops:

How about a unit that has a rear vent that can run a pipe out the back up through the cut out where the damper is/was. Like a hearth mounted unit right in front of the ZC opening?
That may be an option if the lintel is high enough to clear the connector pipe to the liner..

I believe a Vermont Castings Intrepid will fit with the short legs standard legs will fit with a 25" tall opening. I am not sure what the clearance is from the horizontal to ZC would be I would assume the same as a non combustible?

I believe a Vermont Castings Intrepid will fit with the short legs standard legs will fit with a 25" tall opening. I am not sure what the clearance is from the horizontal to ZC would be I would assume the same as a non combustible?
The walls around it are combustible. You also have to watch pipe clearances going in. There is no clear answer as to whether a freestander is allowed to run through a zc. I don't see a safety issue as long as clearances are ok. But I won't install one myself.

And I would not recommend a VC stove at all.

Last edited: