Outside air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish MT

Hearth Supporter
Mar 28, 2006
Helena, MT
I had a Enviro Meridian pellet stove installed last Spring. When it was installed they did not install a outside air kit because we had a outside air vent that was used when the house had a wood stove. The vent is right behind the pellet stove, and there is a lot of air pulle from it. I am getting a good burn (short bright flames). What I am wondering is if it would be better to install a outside air kit so the stove takes all of the air into it instead of pulling cold air into the room. I would think the cold air would make the room colder and if I pipe the air directly to the stove I will not be pulling cold air into the room making the room warmer. I think installing the outside air kit would be simple and fairly inexpensive. Should I bother putting the kit in?

My first impression, since pellet stoves aren't real fire breathing brutes that consume a lot of air for combustion anyway, is that you don't need outside air at all.

Why don't you plug your current cold outside air vent and see how the stove performs?

My bet is you'll close off the outside air vent and be just fine.

Aye,
Marty

That is what I thought and did not use the outside air the couple of times I used it last spring, but this fall I sealed the house and I had trouble getting a good burn so I unplugged the air vent and it burns a lot better. However I think it is pulling more air in the house than it uses so I thought I would just pipe it directly to the unit.

Fish MT said:
That is what I thought and did not use the outside air the couple of times I used it last spring, but this fall I sealed the house and I had trouble getting a good burn so I unplugged the air vent and it burns a lot better. However I think it is pulling more air in the house than it uses so I thought I would just pipe it directly to the unit.

Do it. Why leave an air leak open in your house? Ya think air has eyes and knows where it is supposed to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.