Outside chimmeny and insert efficiency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxburyeric

Feb 6, 2008
Western Connecticut
I put in a Jotul 550 insert this year in my 2,500 sf ft home and have a question regarding increasing the efficiency. I have a 25 ft. brick chimney on the outside of the house. The chimney was lined with a SS 6" liner (no insulation - but block off plate and top plate installed). The face of the fireplace and hearth are covered with large field stones with hold some heat and I have a large firebox. My question is can I keep more heat in the house by insulating around the stove in the firebox area or put a heat reflector behind the stove or even place some soap-stones in the firebox around the insert? Is any of this worth the cash and effort? Thanks

Anyone help with keeping more heat? Thanks

Anyway you could post a pic of your setup?
Do you have an insert surround? Blower?
I think with some pics we could get some good info for you

There have been a few installations posted here where folks talked about using kaowool insulation to line the fireplace and boost heat output. After the stove has been burning all day, go outside and put your hand on the exterior stone or bricks directly behind the firebox. If it feels warm, there's the answer.

ilikewood: I'm working on pictures. I do have an insert surround (cast iron) and two blowers on the insert.

Begreen: The bricks on the outside are cold (30 outside now). The field stone facing above the insert inside the house are very hot. I do have a block off plate but it is not insulated. Will insulation keep the heat in better or am I over thinking it? With the blowers on I can't image too much heat goes up the chimney. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Thanks for your help.

Well that's good. I've been to some houses where you can actually feel the warmth of the stove from the outside. Insulation does help. I'd slip some kaowool above the block-off plate and if you have some extra, maybe line the back of the fireplace with it. Attach securely with tapcons, and use flat washers to hold up the insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.