outside combustion air from attic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmeado1

Feb 21, 2009
atlanta tx
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum but after reading some threads it was obvious there is alot of useful info here. I purchased the Mt. Vernon insert back in November. It is installed in a wooden chase covered in man made stone. The chase stands alone in the center of my living room. In my attic, there is an area where the exhaust pipe is exposed for about eight feet before exiting through the roof.
I am wanting to install an outside combustion air kit and would like to get the air from my attic. The attic has vents under the eves and across the ridge of the roof. Do you fellas see any problems/safety issues with doing this. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

just dont pull the intake air from too far a distance......might given ya constriction problems due to resistance to airflow in the intake pipe

Not a bad idea but use a 4" or larger pipe, pvc. As long as the pvc does not make contact with hot part of the stove. Pictures?

Eric

Eric,

I believe that code considers an OAK to be part of the exhaust system and that it must be made of metal.

jmeado1 should check the stove manual to find out about what must be used.

Thanks for the input guys I will try to get some pics. As far as the material, I am going to check on the kit that is offered from quadrafire before I try to make one myself. Has anyone out there purchased this kit and if so could you comment on the price and what it consists of. Thanks.

jmeado1 said:
Thanks for the input guys I will try to get some pics. As far as the material, I am going to check on the kit that is offered from quadrafire before I try to make one myself. Has anyone out there purchased this kit and if so could you comment on the price and what it consists of. Thanks.

Sorry I don't know anything about that kit!

But I'm sure it will cost more than going to the hardware store and Buying some 4" Aluminium Flexible duct. Same used on dryer vents or heat ducts. Comes in 25' length. Use duct adapters to connect to the stove. Some type of cap for the top to keep the critters out of it.

I purchased the same for my thru the wall vent for less than $35.00 plus tax (Cap and ALL). My length was 8' long.

hope this helps
jay

using attic air shouldn't be a problem. i think it would actually help to keep the air fresher in the attic, as well as colder (which you want for ice dam prevention) i have read where people have used pvc for OAK. As long as you transition to metal prior to connecting to the stove.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Eric,

I believe that code considers an OAK to be part of the exhaust system and that it must be made of metal.

jmeado1 should check the stove manual to find out about what must be used.

The installer of my stove used metal flex connected to pvc (thru floor).
OAK is intake right?

Status
Not open for further replies.