outside insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
ok I have had water well problems every year and I dig and recover it. Once again this year I had to dig "up" my water well. I really don't want to refill the hole in with dirt again because my back can't take digging the hole again. Also I still have to clean the well which I can't this year. So my problem is, I have the hole, where the top of my well and the leading water pipes are exposed. How do I go about from keeping these from freezing. Is there weather proof insulation, can I put insulation into a bag and cram all I can in this hole.I just don't know.
The hole is about 5 x 5 x 7 foot deep
(does any of this make sense)

Not sure that I am following the exact layout- but could you bury some foamboard over the pipes, and then, for cleaning purposes (not sure exactly what that cleaning involves for you), run a "riser" extension (pipe of adequate diameter for what you need to do)up closer to the surface of the soil so that you can gain access without digging all the way down?

Don't bury fiberglass insulation, if that's what you are thinking of "in a bag"-- it'll become compressed and eventually waterlogged (with moisture from the soil) to the point that it'll have no insulating value. Foam board will work OK underground, though,, and may help if you can trench and then lay it above/ over the pipe.

As one other option, regarding freezing underground pipes, there is this option-- a heated element that goes inside a pipe- though it's not cheap:

http://www.aermotorwindmills.com/heated-in-pipe-freeze-protection.htm

Bottom line is, I don't want to fill the hole back up with dirt. However if I don't build to do something the pipes that are exposed will freeze and I don't want that either. So I need to build to find something that I can put around these exposed pipes so they don't freeze...

Why not set some concrete well rings and put rigid foam insulation between the rings and the soil. Make a lid for it and insulate it with rigid foam too.

Packing peanuts. I needed similar fill around a sump pump in a crawlspace that I could not get gravel into. I packed in the peanuts and then put a little sheet plastic over them and then a few inches of dirt. You can jump up and down on the fill and it stays firm. It has lasted for 3 years so far in a pretty wet enviroment. Also give you a great insulation value.

Cutter said:
Packing peanuts. I needed similar fill around a sump pump in a crawlspace that I could not get gravel into. I packed in the peanuts and then put a little sheet plastic over them and then a few inches of dirt. You can jump up and down on the fill and it stays firm. It has lasted for 3 years so far in a pretty wet enviroment. Also give you a great insulation value.
Yup they work for me. Fill a trash bag or two with peanuts and place around your pipes. Should work and easy to remove if you have to. If you get a day that is supper cold just turn a faucet on slightly. Not the best for your pump but works better than digging in below zero temps. Be safe.
Ed

Styrofoam peanuts will absorb water and lose some insulating ability. I would not use them underground or in wet conditions.

chrisasst said:
ok I have had water well problems every year and I dig and recover it. Once again this year I had to dig "up" my water well. I really don't want to refill the hole in with dirt again because my back can't take digging the hole again. Also I still have to clean the well which I can't this year. So my problem is, I have the hole, where the top of my well and the leading water pipes are exposed. How do I go about from keeping these from freezing. Is there weather proof insulation, can I put insulation into a bag and cram all I can in this hole.I just don't know.
The hole is about 5 x 5 x 7 foot deep
(does any of this make sense)

Some of it makes sense. What I'd do is build a box out of pressure treated lumber or plywood. Line it with 1" Hi-R -you know, the rigid foam stuff with foil on both sides - polyisocyanurate is one the names for it. If it's 7 feet deep you shouldn't have to worry about the frost getting under it.
Then run a lead light with a 100 watt bulb in it, let it hang thru the top. You may hafta take the socket off so you only hafta make a small hole, which I'd silicone to seal.
You can add handles to the top for easy removal, in case you wanna check the bulb.
I have a similar problem with the main waste line going to my grinder pump. It's located on the downhill side of the house & the traps are only about 12" underground...
I did the above although I just used the Hi-R to make the box.
I turn the light on just after New Year's Day & I've been doing this for the last 10 years without an issue.
You'll be surprised at how much heat one 100W bulb will generate in a confined & insulated space...
HTH...

Status
Not open for further replies.