Outside temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nmaho

Jan 15, 2014
Ma
At what temp do you start your stoves, how cold does it have to be?

I fire up my wood stove late September and switch to boiler mid November. As soon as the house hits the low 60's I fire up the stove. I think you will find a lot of burners on this forumn who burn Sept to April.

Reactions: Beer Belly
When my wife or myself are cold inside the house we light a fire ... regardless of what the outside temperature is.

The outdoor temperature has to be around 50F or cooler for it to be worth it. Warmer than that and the weak draft makes getting a fire started a little challenging, and then the room ends up too hot.

any time it is cold enough

late September to mid or even late may. 24/7 October to April. Just at night the other months.

Mid-October to April but it all depends on the temps. I HATE giving the power company money so I'll have some soft fires just to take the chill out earlier if need be.

fv

At what temp do you start your stoves, how cold does it have to be?

This question seems to come up a lot but usually in the hearth forum. Who cares what the outdoor temperature is? It is the indoor temperature that dictates when a fire is built. I would add though that in the fall, it usually is into the 30's before we need a fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.