Ovalized Door Handle Opening On A PE Pacific D1 Insert...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Grrrrrr.

So, the handle is wobbly, and has been replaced twice. Had a machinist friend come take a look, and the opening is ovalized. (Door is made of cast). His solution, sleeve it (the opening), and reinstall handle. I also have 2 additional handles, washers, pins, etc.

Our question is, what's the best type of material to use for the sleeve? I've been told brass, but am open to other suggestions / thoughts.

Trying to get pics to upload from my phone, having issues, but will keep trying.

Thanks !

Success !!!! 3rd pic is the handle in the down/lock position, currently.

IMG_0630.jpg
IMG_0630.jpg
IMG_0631.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a metallurgist, but generally avoid mixing metals under heat. The concern is galvanic reaction between the two dissimilar metals making for corrosion over time. For that reason, I would probably be thinking of a stainless bushing. How will the bushing be held in place? Would this work?

Reactions: Dix
I have a 1999 Spectrum Classic gold door with black porcelain top, panels, ash lip, etc., with the smaller arched top door, stove was installed new in April 1999, have never replaced the door handle however it is showing a wee bit of looseness now so may need replacing in a year or two. Personally I would opt for a stainless steel bushing/sleeve if I required such a part.

Reactions: Dix
I'm not a metallurgist, but generally avoid mixing metals under heat. The concern is galvanic reaction between the two dissimilar metals making for corrosion over time. For that reason, I would probably be thinking of a stainless bushing. How will the bushing be held in place? Would this work?

We are McMaster ready, BG. Figured that was where we would have to go. Thank you :)

Why is it wearing prematurely? It the latch miss aligned some how. Drill it add bushing. Use high temp anti seize.

Why is it wearing prematurely? It the latch miss aligned some how. Drill it add bushing. Use high temp anti seize.

The insert is 13 years old.

Similar to Loctite high temp?

Fixed !! Stainless was used.

9CF98D7D-5D7B-46A4-8BF6-A141C3565722.jpeg

Reactions: Dave_in_ABQ
The solution ...

there was a old steel split bushing that had worn out and elongated the casting of the door. I turned out a solid 304 stainless steel bushing .01 over sized for the handle and Bored out the handle hole in the door .003 undersized of the od of the bushing. Pressed the bushing in and fit the handle through. Used the same washers as spacers and made a new pin.

;)