Over Night Burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I wanted to see what my stove would do with a full load this afternoon but I was only able to load half my Osburn 2000.
The reason for this is, I only had a certain amount of Ash splits in my house that would fit North and South. I started fire at 1 this afternoon, it is 6:20 as I write this post and temperature in my living space is 76 degrees and stove is still kicking out some hot temps.
With a partial loaded stove, I am getting over 5 hours of heat. If I fully loaded my stove I should get at least 8-10 hours than. My Over Night Burn issue has been solved thanks to dafattkidd.

Now I can sleep throughout the night instead of waking every few hours to load my stove! Thanks dafattkidd, I really appreciate your help.

Fredo

Woodchip,

As my partially loaded stove was steaming like a locomotive I left my house and was gone for a while. Everything went well and the reason I can tell you this, I am sitting in my living space because my stove did not burn my house down. I am getting used to my stove burning without being present all the time.
I make sure that I TEND to my stove EVERYTIME I load it up with a little or alot of wood. When I know temps are stable I leave my stove and let it do its job.

Stay Toasty

Fredo

This morning I woke up to a huge bed of coals and a bit of blackened glass?? I'm sure I waited long enough for the wood to charr before turning down the air. I was sure that I closed the zipper air too. With a proper charr and that much zipper all the coals should have been gone. Don't know what went wrong.

Wife slept in much longer than I did. HMmm... There's a clue in there somewhere, Sherlock. Turns out she had insomnia and put some wood in the stove but didn't give it proper air to charr. I knew adding a second air control with my zipper air mod would make the stove more complex to operate. She only opened the zipper air.

LLigetfa,

At least your wife got up in the middle of the night to keep stove cookin. My wife could sleep through a hurricane!

Fredo

Fredo, that's great man, I'm so glad that was helpful to you. Keep experimenting. You'll learn your stove a little more each time.

As for wives loading the stove; my wife is usually pretty good about loading the stove while I'm at work, but she's six months pregnant now, so bending over to load the stove is not ideal. That's why I've been really packing that sucker before I go to work.

My wife feeds the stove through the day while I'm at work but she often just leaves the settings how I left them in the morning. It's just for overnight that I turn the air all the way down to extend the burn time.

DaFattKidd,

I have been experimenting with my stove, especially it's damper. Adjusting damper in increments wether it be opening or closing really makes a huge difference how fire reacts to airflow.
Thanks to all of you at Hearth for helping me with Wood Stovin. I am really enjoying my Osburn 2000 because of you.

It was a funny thing when I looked at my propane receipt today after company filled my propane tank for the first time this season. Along with receipt was a letter. It stated that since I have a alternative heat source (wood stove) that propane company will no longer make Service stop to fill tank. Service stop is included when I pre-bought my propane last summer at 2.09 a gallon. Now I have to call for service fill when tank gets between 25-20 percent. Who told my propane company I put in a wood stove? They probably peeked through my windows after they realized I hadn't used hardly any propane! :lol:

Knowing my luck propane company will drop me as a customer because I am not buying as much fuel as I once did :p

I only used one percent since I started using my stove a month ago. That one percent was to heat my hot water and turn dryer on for an emergency, kids clothes cycle. Now my wife drys clothes on collapsible drying rack next to stove.

It's a good feeling not having to rely on gas company for my heat source other than hot water.

Fredo

Fredo said:
Knowing my luck propane company will drop me as a customer because I am not buying as much fuel as I once did :p

Nah, just charge you a tank rental fee if you don't use enough. I'm dealing with mine right now since I haven't had a fill in over a year. I was charged a tank rental fee last year and this year is going to be the same. Of course they raised their tank rental charges this year so I'm currently shopping around since the company I'm with has a minimum yearly purchase of 500 gallons which isn't going to happen. :lol:

Rdust,

It never ceases to amaze me when one tries to get ahead in one area of their life the SYSTEM ALWAYS heads you off at the pass!
Hopefully before my propane company charges me a tank rental fee I will be burning with an additional stove just to heat my water!
"Now kids, go and heat your daddies bath water up with the cast iron pots sitting on the stove" :lol:

Fredo

That's great man congrats.

I'm very tempted to collect my best short splits and do a big N/S loading to see what happens, there was a thread recently about a 24 hour burn in Alaska with birch.

And Rdust..... dont even joke about propane tank rental fees.

Our standing charge for gas supply here has gone from £30 a year to £120 a year just for a pipe to the door.

That's serious money when the annual gas burned is only £100.

And yes, I'm seriously thinking about future fuel needs.

But my thoughts on an integreated off grid system system with wind, solar, wood fired boiler and a heat pump will have to appear on a thread in the green room.

Although I do sometimes boil a couple of pots on the stove for a wash....... you have no idea how close to the truth you are here Fredo ;-)

Woodchip,

I am so blessed and grateful for investing in my wood stove. I should have done it years ago but I didn't for reasons only God knows.
At least I finally got off my butt and now it is such a joy to have my house at a consitent, warm, temperature throughout the Winter. The one thing that drove me nuts about heating with Forced Air Heat was once my Living Space Themostate got to Temprature and Furnace shut off, my house went cold within a matter of a short time. My house was built well 10 years ago but living in the country, in wide open territory, in Michigan, it gets awful cold in Winter.
As for getting (somewhat) off The Grid, I am about ready to go buy a Nice Cave somewhere out West in The United States! Besides taking my wonderful family with me, the next most important thing, my Wood Stove! The way the Powers At Be are Squashing the American TaxPayer/Consumer, most of us will be standing in street, wearing a Whiskey Barrel, held up by Suspenders, because if one is fortunate enough, that's all they will be left with! First I want to drink my Whiskey. I hate to let a GOOD THING go to waste :lol:

Fredo

The two most important things in life after the two F's (family and friends) are the two W's.......

Wood and whiskey ;-)

Reactions: Slocochef
woodchip said:
The two most important things in life after the two F's (family and friends) are the two W's.......

Wood and whiskey ;-)

Actually I would amend it to just Friends . . . there are a few family members I could do without.

Also . . . wood and Woodchucks. :) ;)

firefighterjake said:
woodchip said:

Wood and whiskey ;-)

Actually I would amend it to just Friends . . . there are a few family members I could do without.

Also . . . wood and Woodchucks. :) ;)

Jake I second that Notion about certain family members. That is why I moved out of the city and now hiding in the country. ;-)

As far as the Woodchucks go, I have a family living in a Berm in the "WAY" back of my property. I like watching the little buggers and have warned them to stay out of my Territory. I think they got the hint after I took care of Mr. Racoon when He invited himself into my wife's chicken coop. He ate enough chickens to fill a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken!
Man, that darn Racoon was as big as a medium size dog. The thing even charged at me when I opened the door to the coop but not to worry my friend. When I was through with Him, He was reduced into Stew size pieces!

Fredo

This one has been off track for a while. Closing it down.

To the OP, there is lots of info found on the topic using the site's search feature. If there is something in this thread that you'd like to re-kindle, let me know and I'll clean things up and open the thread back up.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.