Overheating stove in Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Looks like the Drolet 1800i needs 23” of R=1.0. I’d rule that out. PE Neo needs 2” hearth height above floor. Scratch that. How about a BK Sirocco. None of those restrictions and a tax credit on the install. Pull that form down. No extra hearth protection if the BK fits back in there.

Looks like the Drolet 1800i needs 23” of R=1.0. I’d rule that out. PE Neo needs 2” hearth height above floor. Scratch that. How about a BK Sirocco. None of those restrictions and a tax credit on the install. Pull that form down. No extra hearth protection if the BK fits back in there.

Even if I pull the form out, I don't believe the tile and cement underneath counts as R1? Unless air gap counts?

I have a lot of options if I pull the form out...which is currently the plan assuming it isn't at all structural. Spacing for an insert is huge, plenty of space and should have plenty of mantle clearance.

A PE Super insert also just requires ember protection, 16" in front of the stove door. It would be a better choice to address the concern of operation without a blower during an outage.

Reactions: EbS-P
I think that one may have a bit too much poke for our extension size.
That projection is what will help it heat better with the blower off. The hearth could be extended with a tile or shallow brick border.

That projection is what will help it heat better with the blower off. The hearth could be extended with a tile or shallow brick border.
The option for extension is there, the key is wife approval. I would love to redo the tile for this extension...its not particularly well done. Plus a couple cracked tiles now.