Overloaded?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
A unique question, almost rhetorical, with 2 valid answers.

Yes- too much weight seems obvious.

No- there is an opening near the passenger side wheel well!

Depends on your attitude I guess. Short trip on a back road- under 1/2 mile. Not concerned at all. I had already unloaded for a few minutes before I remembered to snap the pics. There was about the same mounding in the trailer as in the truck. All red oak. Taking advantage of what may be some final ground freeze for the season.

Attachments

• oak1.jpg
    oak1.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 538
  • oak2.jpg
    oak2.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 526
1 more pic......................

Attachments

• oak3.jpg
    oak3.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 515
MWN, there's no sag in them springs and for all the further you are going I don't see a problem there.......heck there's more room on top of those standing splits if you ask me! :cheese: Nice lookin' load of wood there!

Yip, overloaded probably. I usually have to go a lot further.
You sure can fit a lot more in when its split.

Baaa...I don't see a problem. Looks like a manageable load for truck and trailer.

How about a 1/2 mile trip with a full load of dripping wet hackberry: (and that truck needs 1000 pounds just to level it out).

Attachments

• hackberry.jpg
    hackberry.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 356
"Don"t mind the mule, load the wagon" ! :)
I use back roads, drive slow & pull over to let folks pass when I have a big load.
Overloading with green fire wood is pretty easy.

Nice load of fire wood :)

Just don't let that mule kick Dave!

Short run, no harm done.

I personally don't see any issue there except maybe pieces falling off. That truck is probably rated for 10K or more towing and if its a 3/4t then it can haul 4K in the bed. Either way the combined on that load looks to be lighter than my dump trailer weights empty.

She doesn't show sag because of the air lift springs installed on the rear. The are like air shocks but more applicable to occaisional loading. Heavy load, add air, light load, let some out. Keeps the ride nice. That oak was bucked a year ago and the tree was dropped the previous year. Split it up over the last few weeks and the oak was still bleeding H20 when the wedge hit it. Some pieces were a little punky on the outer 1/2 inch, but it is all solid. Here is the tree when I bucked it:

Attachments

• Saw.jpg
    Saw.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 325
I bagged my 3500 Express van too. When I picked up that ton of EZbricks last weekend the truck sat level with that load.

mywaynow said:
She doesn't show sag because of the air lift springs installed on the rear. The are like air shocks but more applicable to occaisional loading. Heavy load, add air, light load, let some out. Keeps the ride nice. That oak was bucked a year ago and the tree was dropped the previous year. Split it up over the last few weeks and the oak was still bleeding H20 when the wedge hit it. Some pieces were a little punky on the outer 1/2 inch, but it is all solid. Here is the tree when I bucked it:
that punky layer was the sapwood. On oaks it goes bad first, esp if the bark is still on the tree. Either way you got a nice load of wood off that tree, and as for the air bags, I'm thinking about puttin them under my 1997 GMC K2500 too.

Out of curiosity what psi do you run you bags at with a load like that? Also, do you have an on board compressor or do you fill the bags with a remote (gas station, garage) compressor? On my ram 2500 I have an aftermarket suspension that modifies the factory rear leaf springs to give a better ride and axle articualtion but it does allow the truck to sag more with heavy loads. Air bags are on my short list of truck goodies right now.

PSI varies on the load. The max pressure they are rated for is 100psi loaded. Empty I run as low as 20 but you should never let them go flat. With bags basically your axle and tires become the limit. I would recommend only trucks with full floater axles use the bags. You could easily overload a 1/2ton and when they break an axle it comes out.

I would say I am at 70lbs on that truck. I get my air lifts from a place in michigan. I think it is michigan truck sales or michigan truck spring?? 235 shipped. Not really impressed with the mounting system on the Ford. It uses something called a J bolt to attach the upper plate to the frame. They never seem to tighten to a binding point. I am afraid to overtigthen and break the bolt. I have used them on the last 4 trucks with great success.

wkpoor said:
PSI varies on the load. The max pressure they are rated for is 100psi loaded. Empty I run as low as 20 but you should never let them go flat. With bags basically your axle and tires become the limit. I would recommend only trucks with full floater axles use the bags. You could easily overload a 1/2ton and when they break an axle it comes out.

This is the most overlooked part of the balancing act.

Status
Not open for further replies.