Overnight Burn setting for Jotul F400 or any other stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have tried raking a trench in the ash and coals right down the middle all the way to the back. but it doesn’t line up with the air holes to well. I generally leave a lot of ash In the box too. Keeps the heat better.
Yup i usually do a middle trench too when i have a big load of coals. But i don't keep an ash bed in the stove. I clean it out every few days when the ash pan is full. Think i'll try the ash bed as you guys seem to like. Thanks

I think I am misunderstanding, you only have 1 oak split and 1 cherry split in the stove?

I think I am misunderstanding, you only have 1 oak split and 1 cherry split in the stove?
No it was all oak splits in that load, with 1 cherry split.

Reactions: MMH
Ok so i pulled the coals forward, this time with a nice amount of coals with big chunks. Put a Large Holly round in back, 1 oak split in front and 1 oak split on top. 3 pieces of wood total that filled the firebox almost all the way to the baffles. Fire caught very quickly this time and secondaires kicked in pretty fast. Not much smoke produced on the reload. Draft turned almost off within 10 minutes or less. Here is a 20 second video of how it's burning and how i will leave it for overnight. Thanks everyone for helping me get it dialed in. The Holly definitely kicks the heat in fast. Single wall Pipe external temp. btw. 350-375.

Reactions: Todd and EbS-P
That last video looks pretty dialed in (from what I’ve seen and read about tube stoves; I don’t have one). From previous responses looks like you were getting roughly 6-7 hours per load? With a box size of 1.77 cubic feet I’d venture to guess that’s pretty typical. Looks like you’ve got it mostly figured out. Keep playin with it.

Just an update, still working on getting this super dialed in. Turns out I think I switched piles and pulled wood from the least seasoned pile for those loads. Got the stove burning well with the draft almost closed with strong secondary flames.

012AB14C-B319-4D4D-9533-78AD5D296D05.jpeg E804D26E-1EFB-4652-88F6-81FB3358757B.jpeg

Reactions: stoveliker
Just an update, still working on getting this super dialed in. Turns out I think I switched piles and pulled wood from the least seasoned pile for those loads. Got the stove burning well with the draft almost closed with strong secondary flames.

View attachment 291015 View attachment 291016
That’s what mine looks like!!

I switched from pine and poplar to red maple and my burns are vey different could be wetter too.