1. Mahoney86

Mahoney86
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 18, 2015
    Loc:
    NJ / NY
    Here is a little more overall picture of the front of my oil boiler

So i think I’m going to scrap all of the 3/4” pipe. I’ll be out of town this weekend at my hunting cabin where I know I can get longer lengths of 1” pex. So I’ll change that piping from the OWB and plug 1” into the HX.

As far as the oil boiler side of the HX goes it sounds like I can get rid of the blue return line off the back of the oil boiler. Would I just be adding another T at the base of my boiler where I have the red supply pex? And just create a loop into the HX and back into a newly added T?

One of the biggest things I need to be able to do is very easily shut off the supply to the HX on the oil boiler side as I travel a lot for work and am in the mountains many weekends through winter. I want to be able to put the OWB in a by pass recirc mode easily and keep the oil boiler separate as to not waste oil heating the OWB while I’m not here

Attached Files:

2. Mahoney86

Mahoney86
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 18, 2015
    Loc:
    NJ / NY
    Would something like this work? After I drew the sketch and looked at it more I am thinking it would not work because I am adding a line to the HX before the recirculating pump and likely will cause cavitation issues? Can I make all my connections to the HX at the bottom Tee of the Oil Boiler?

Attached Files:

3. stee6043

stee6043
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 22, 2008
    Loc:
    West Michigan
    That won't work. You can tee into the return line where you have it marked but you need to come back into that line (from the HX) upstream of the existing circ pump. The way you have it drawn now is eliminating the pump from the circuit which will not work. You want your existing oil boiler circ pump to pull supply from the house, send it through the HX, and then send it back through the oil boiler the way it currently does it. This way your oil boiler can effectively work as a backup. And your plumbing is sure to work.

The bypass you have drawn will work if you need to run the OWB pump while away for work. Make sure you're using full port ball valves for those shutoffs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. stee6043

stee6043
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 22, 2008
    Loc:
    West Michigan
    The problem you're struggling with is that you will need to cut some pipe. Not ideal for the average DIYer (at least not me). You can get black pipe cut and threaded and Home Depot and Lowes. Probably Menards too. I'd recommend you modify that piece of pipe between the ball valve and your existing pump. Add two tee's with another ball valve between them and you're set.

Your existing ball valves are perfectly placed to enable this work. You can make this modification without draining the whole system. You will, however, end up with air in there after you're done.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Mahoney86

Mahoney86
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 18, 2015
    Loc:
    NJ / NY
    I actually do not think that will be terrible to do. I have ample amount of copper above that valve and circ pump. I cannot braze for the life of me, but I can install sharkbite fittings and install copper pipe with (2) Ts on it before that circ pump. I don't think I would modify the pipe after the valve as its 1 1/4" black iron, the copper above would be fairly easy to do.

6. stee6043

stee6043
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 22, 2008
    Loc:
    West Michigan
    Let us know how it goes! Make sure you put a shutoff between those two tee's. You'll need to have a way to force the flow into the HX once installed.

And if you do end up needing to do some work on the black pipe it's really not that bad. But you'll need two pipe wrenches and some pipe dope. Lowes/HD can cut and thread to size. But yeah....shark bites are slick, though not cheap.