P35i Feeder "Test" mode issue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

black_sab

May 20, 2015
massachusetts
I've got a p35i in an in-law apartment at my house that a family member used for around a year (a year old at the time, installed brand new), however it's hasn't been used in well over a year. Always fired right up, never an issue. I attempted to get it running the other day, but no luck...

It wasn't feeding pellets so the first thing I tried is the feeder test. Apparently in TEST mode the auger will rotate and feed pellets for 1 minute. Once in test mode I can see the lights (and feel air movement) for Distribution Blower and Combustion motors go on. However, I don't see the Feed Motor light kick on or the auger rotate.

first question, is this an actual status light that uses a sensor to indicate whether the motor is rotating?

The hopper was full of old pellets, seemed to be dry and intact. After the first failed test I scooped out all the old pellets and vacuumed out the hooper. retried the test to no avail.

Tried opening, and re-seating the front door, hopper door and ash tray... Seals seem good. Hopper seal feels brand new, as does the door seal.

Finally I pulled the entire stove out, tossed it in test mode and I can see the exhaust fan cranking when I put it in TEST mode... I disconnected the motor terminals and see around 80v AC at the motor terminals. This is why I ask about the whether the feeder light indicated whether the shaft was turning or whether the control was sending voltage to the motor. Since I have voltage it seems like the light is a status light although the manual says that the light indicates power to the motor.

Should I be able to crank the auger with some pliers? Was thinking maybe the shaft was frozen.

I have a new feeder motor on the way in case it is the motor, if not I guess it's cheap insurance to have on hand.

you may have a couple of issues:
1- Feeder box maybe full, needs cleaning.
2- Exhaust pipe/liner maybe plugged, needs cleaning
3- Exhaust motor may not be turning fast enough.
4- Auger motor maybe bad/slow moving with a load on it.
The auger motor works off the air switch, if there is not enough vacuum in the stove the motor will not run.
The auger light will come on but motor will not turn with any of the above issues.

Hope this helps.