• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Clayton24

Sep 8, 2021
Mercer Pennsylvania
Just bought a p43. I have a ranch style house “1,200sqft basement “1,200sqft upper floor”.
The house is well insulated for being built in 1956. Walls are completely filled and attic is up to par for insulation too.
will the p43 heat my house enough that I won’t have to burn fuel oil also? Have all new windows in basement and upstairs.

Depends on the location of the stove and how well the warm air will travel

Bingo - unfortunately there is no single answer because each house is different.

I have a P61a in my 650 sq/ft basement with 950 sq/ft on the main floor and the heat will not circulate, so I ended up putting a P43 on the main floor. Not the P61a's fault - the stairway is at one end of the house and faces the outside wall (middle would be better), the main floor is cut up into too many rooms (definitely not an open floor plan). Even fans and cutting holes in my floors and installing forced bents won't get the bathroom and bedrooms at comfortable temps (with the basement in the high 80's),

Others have had great luck heating with a single stove. However, I would think that you would be pushing the P43 hard to heat 2,400 sq/ft even if you get optimal convection currents.

The one thing to remember is that a pellet stove (any pellet stove)
is a space heater not a forced-air furnace. so results vary to
a particular application.
My stove rated at 2800 sq feet will not heat my 2000 sq foot
home it is a matter of air movement

It's possible. I do it. 1750 sq ft up and 1750 sq ft down. Full brick ranch on the side of a hill with a walkout basement facing north. Stove is in the basement. There is a large open, central stairway to the basement. With the improvements to the heat pump and the house, the heat pump alone is good down to 35 degrees, was 40 degrees before. P61a is good by itself down to around 10 degrees, depending on ground temp, wind and sun. Snow pack too. There's a large air handler on the heat pump I use to circulate the air, along with 5 small low rpm fans. So I can use a combination of different fans depending on temps. Once down around 10 degrees I run the resistance heater in the air handler to assist the stove. On electric alone I was over $500 a month and freezing. That was 7 years ago. Average 6 ton of pellets a year. Keeping the main floor at 70-71 degrees. Took some work to figure out. This forum helped immensely! Your mileage may vary.

Yes, every house is different. Ours is small, only 1100 SF and at least 85% of our heat is from the pellet stove with our house comfortable throughout. We have forced air oil heat and average less than a half a tank of oil or less per year with a lot of that in the shoulder season when the stove is run less. I have a 12" fan high in the open doorway that moves heat from the living room where the stove is to the rest of the house. I also have a smart thermostat on the furnace that has the furnace blower run 10 minutes per hour. With the heat vents and returns, this also helps move air around the house to balance things out better than before I did that.

Ray