P43, XXV, or P61A

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone. I have the owner of the dealership coming out to look at my house and make a recommendation. Hopefully I get an actual recommendation, and not just a suggestion to buy the most expensive one.

If you're only using 2 gallons of oil/day, @ $4/gallon, that's $8/day. In pellets, you're probably looking at a bag a day (?) at $4-$6/bag. I guess that is a savings, but...it's a lot to invest to get that savings. Mind you, we did invest in the pellets but that's because we were going through 170 gallons in 21 days and freezing in the house....

Thanks everyone. I have the owner of the dealership coming out to look at my house and make a recommendation. Hopefully I get an actual recommendation, and not just a suggestion to buy the most expensive one.

I think that's a good route to take. Our dealer did the same for us, and if its a good dealer, they will do the right thing. Our dealer talked us out of stuff they knew we DIDNT need and he also recommended the P43 for our house (1900 sqft open concept, 2x6 construction, stove to be installed in living room - similar to yours). I bet you'll hear that you could get away with any of the three and I think you'll be very happy with any of them, especially over what you have now.

I realize that the savings may be minimal. But we also like the idea of buying something made in America, and buying pellets made 30 minutes from my house. We are also environmentally conscious. It is hard to tell how much oil we are using for heat, since our water is heated by the boiler as well. That is obviously taking place year round. So out of the 445 gallons we used all of last year, I am not sure how much was used to heat our water.

If you're only using 2 gallons of oil/day, @ $4/gallon, that's $8/day. In pellets, you're probably looking at a bag a day (?) at $4-$6/bag. I guess that is a savings, but...it's a lot to invest to get that savings. Mind you, we did invest in the pellets but that's because we were going through 170 gallons in 21 days and freezing in the house....

Well this isnt exactly a fair comparison. In our previous house we had a heat pump (useless in PA winters) and switched to a pellet stove. Our electric bills were in the 400 dollar/month range, keeping the house at 67. We switched to the pellet stove and were able to keep our house at 72 on a bag to bag and a half of pellets a day. The first winter, it cost us 400 dollars in pellets to keep the house at this temperature (we got a ton free from the dealer), we burnt a total of 3 tons. We are now in a different home and have again purchased a pellet stove. I'm still burning about a bag to bag and a half a day, and my oil burner is used for hot water. What i'm simply saying is, with a pellet stove, you get to enjoy a more comfortable temperature. If we tried to set our heat pump to 72, i have no doubt we would be looking at 600 to 700 a month.

As a side note, the first month without the heat pump, our electric bill was 55 dollars.

Reactions: kinsmanstoves
jslinger i can tell you exactly how much oil you used to heat your water........TO MUCH !

I hear you. I do the same thing with my oil burner; however at almost 15 cents a kilowatt hour, it doesnt really make sense for me to dump the oil burner for an electric water heater.

I hear you. I do the same thing with my oil burner; however at almost 15 cents a kilowatt hour, it doesnt really make sense for me to dump the oil burner for an electric water heater.

You would be surprised. I switched and my electric bill went up about $25.00. If you use 100 of oil a year for hot water, it's costing you more.

You would be surprised. I switched and my electric bill went up about $25.00. If you use 100 of oil a year for hot water, it's costing you more.

I have been thinking about it a lot honestly. But running btu/cost calculations just doesnt seem to add up. My oil burner is fairly new and rated for up to 86% efficiency. At 3.5/gallon, and 15/cents on the kWh; 100,000 BTUs breaks down to $2.93 and $4.4, respectively. This is our first house with an oil burner and while we had been burning oil for heat (until we got the pellet stove) it is now just a glorified water heater for everyday use. It'll be interesting to see how much we burn after a year of living here.

The 61a would do you fine. Would want my stove to grab more heat when I need it.

I am thinking of the 2-3k for the stove PLUS pellets. New liner, install if needed.

Does $2700 for a p43, plus a free ton of pellets sound like an ok price? I am not familiar with dealers ability to "move" on the price.

Does $2700 for a p43, plus a free ton of pellets sound like an ok price? I am not familiar with dealers ability to "move" on the price.

The MSRP from the Harman website is $2829.

Does $2700 for a p43, plus a free ton of pellets sound like an ok price? I am not familiar with dealers ability to "move" on th Sq feet and heats all of the e price.
Yes that sounds fair I got my p43 in December and love it heating 14 year old 1800 sq feet open first floor and second floor including the master bath if the doors are open its getting in the teens now and the stove is doing a great job . Remember that cost does not include the pipe or delivery if you ask for 10%off the stove my wife did and she got it however we did not get a free ton

Yeah. I realized I would have to buy the pipe. I will be able to pick the stove up so I won't have to pay a delivery fee. Does anyone know if buying during the summer will increase my chances of getting a better price? Or, since the stoves are the same year after year, do they not discount them after winter?

Yeah. I realized I would have to buy the pipe. I will be able to pick the stove up so I won't have to pay a delivery fee. Does anyone know if buying during the summer will increase my chances of getting a better price? Or, since the stoves are the same year after year, do they not discount them after winter?
That I do not know
Do the math if you buy now and save on oil or buy in the warmer months for a 300 or 400 dollar discount

My local dealers prices don't change from season to season. The price you are getting is fair. As a side note, I got my chimney liner online. The dealer wanted $500 for a 3 by 20 stainless steel liner and cap. Online for 179 shipped. He did give me a good price on the stove.

My appointment is set up for Monday afternoon. Can't wait.
Thanks again, everyone.

Thats about an average price around me for a p43 but you didnt say where you were located. They may not budge too much on the price but they may throw in a "free" ton of pellets or give better pricing of parts or install. Dont forget about the $100 online coupon also.

I live in Vermont. They are throwing in a free ton of pellets. Thanks for the heads up, I was unaware of the online coupon. Between my appointment Monday, and the AFC championship, I may have trouble sleeping.

also, in addition to the $100, dont forget about Harman's new incentive program- free trim!

My local dealers prices don't change from season to season. The price you are getting is fair. As a side note, I got my chimney liner online. The dealer wanted $500 for a 3 by 20 stainless steel liner and cap. Online for 179 shipped. He did give me a good price on the stove.

just be wary that there are many different types and QUALITIES of liners........

also, in addition to the $100, dont forget about Harman's new incentive program- free trim!
Free Trim???? My god I hope my wife doesnt see this. I talked her out of the 300 dollar trim by saying thats over a ton of pellets and a dinner at Olive garden for the trim

Reactions: kinsmanstoves
Great I missed the free trim kit by 10 days .......maybe i'll return it and have the wife buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.