P61a room temp mode...does it ever NOT cycle off?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the temp mode vs. stove mode has been covered ad nauseum but I have a different type question. This will be my first winter with the P61a. In room temp mode, is it safe to say that there will likely come a time on the coldest days where the stove will not completely cycle off? In other words as the temperature reaches the set temp, say 72 of course it will start to ramp back down but if heat loss due to cold outside air is great, would it ramp back up before completely cyclying. Just wondering how common this is for the average 1600 sq ft house during a Connecticut winter.

Today, for example, it is very chilly and rainy with temps in the low 40's. My thermostat is set at 72 and the stove has cycled on and off about every 2 hours since about 8am today. I assume if it were perhaps in the 20's it may not cycle off at all? And, if it does cycle down but maybe not completely off, is the igniter used again on ramp up or does the low existing flame just light the newly incoming pellets? I know there will come a time that I probably just run it in stove mode 24/7 but was just curious of anyones experience with room temp mode. Thanks a bunch. This place is addicting and you guys and gals are great.

Mike

In room temp mode, if you have the ignitor set to manual, the stove will not shut off. It will shut off if the ignitor is set to auto.

I always run my stove in room temp mode with the ignitor set to manual. I use more pellets that way but the stove never shuts off and I save wear and tear on the ignitor.

I don't use my stoves during the shoulder months and in fact, due to my heat pump system, I seldom use my stoves unless it falls below 30 degrees outside. I'm guessing even if I turned my ignitors to auto, the stoves would not completely shutdown and it would stay lit always due to the cold outside temps.

To answer your question, yes a small flame will ignite the pellets as the stove calls for more heat.

GooGoo said:
I know the temp mode vs. stove mode has been covered ad nauseum but I have a different type question. This will be my first winter with the P61a. In room temp mode, is it safe to say that there will likely come a time on the coldest days where the stove will not completely cycle off? In other words as the temperature reaches the set temp, say 72 of course it will start to ramp back down but if heat loss due to cold outside air is great, would it ramp back up before completely cyclying. Just wondering how common this is for the average 1600 sq ft house during a Connecticut winter.

Today, for example, it is very chilly and rainy with temps in the low 40's. My thermostat is set at 72 and the stove has cycled on and off about every 2 hours since about 8am today. I assume if it were perhaps in the 20's it may not cycle off at all? And, if it does cycle down but maybe not completely off, is the igniter used again on ramp up or does the low existing flame just light the newly incoming pellets? I know there will come a time that I probably just run it in stove mode 24/7 but was just curious of anyones experience with room temp mode. Thanks a bunch. This place is addicting and you guys and gals are great.

Mike

My P43 ran from February 18 when it was installed to about late March non-stop. Never shutdown once. When the outside temperature got high enough she shut down. My house is about 1000 sq ft and temp was at 72* with the P43, a similar stove to yours. Yeah, I am experimenting with the manual/auto modes today actually. I always use the stove in Room Temp mode. I have always used it in Auto as you do, and it starts, heats, then shuts down every couple hours or so. Today it's been in Manual mode and when the house reaches it's temperature the stove scales back the flame until the house needs to be warmed up a bit, then the flame builds, etc. over and over in this cycle. I'm just experimenting. Not too concerned about the ignitor in Auto mode because I've heard as long as you keep the cleanout under the burnpot cleaned out the ignitor will last a good amount of time, even in Auto, stop start mode. Have Fun!!!

Thanks PJ. It's great to hear all the different opinions and uses of these stoves. I am really impressed with the P series and the heat output. I have purposely cranked it up a few times and it is amazing the amount of heat they produce. I will make sure to keep the cleanout area cleaned. Thanks again.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.